Yoga for Children: 200+ Yoga Poses, Breathing Exercises, and Meditations for Healthier, Happier, More Resilient Children by Lisa Flynn
Product Description: Yoga for Children will encourage your child to learn about yoga with an attentive, at-home (or in-class or in-therapy) instructor–you! Even if you are new to the practice, author, mom, and children’s yoga expert Lisa Flynn will guide you and your child through more than 200 yoga poses, meditations, and activities that are suitable for children between the ages of two and twelve. Complete with full-color photographs, instructional scripts, and pose modifications. With this complete resource, you can teach children to be more resilient, confident, and calm—one yoga practice at a time.
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Adams Media (May 18, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1440554633
- ISBN-13: 978-1440554636
- Product Dimensions: 0.8 x 5.9 x 8.8 inches
I was blessed to have the opportunity to review a pre-publication draft of this book (a 307 page PDF of just text……. no formatting or pictures). Being the detail oriented person that I am, I actually read the entire 307 page PDF before submitting a review. I’m a very visual learner so it was a little difficult imagining what the final book would look like. I knew the content was fabulous but couldn’t wait to see the real book. It was like a kid waiting for Christmas! Imagine my delight when my copy arrived and I saw this on page 2:
What an honor that my review was selected to be included in this fabulous book! Even though I had read the pre-publication draft, I couldn’t wait to read the real book…… to discover new insight into kids yoga & gain some new ideas to try in my classes. Well I wasn’t disappointed! This book is a fabulous “must have” for anyone wanting to do yoga with kids.
Here’s what I love about the book:
- provides a wealth of well-balanced, research-based information in an easy-to-understand format
- includes tips on working with kids at particular developmental levels (2-4 yrs., 4-6 yrs., 7-10 yrs., 10-12 yrs.)
- includes tips on setting up a good yoga space & materials (love the idea for making a “yoga wand”!)
- includes info about teaching 9 “yoga principles”. In the settings I work in, these are referred to as “character education”. In more traditional yoga terms, they are called “yamas” & “niyamas”. Essentially they are positive ways to treat yourself & others. My favorite part about this section is that Lisa made it very kid-friendly by giving simple examples of what the principle looks like & includes book suggestions for each one.
- includes “mindfulness” activities with benefits, “what to do” & “what to say” for each. Many also include great color photos.
- includes breathing activities with benefits, “what to do” & “what to say” for each. Most also include great color photos. I love that this section is divided into “energizing” & “calming” breathing activities.
- over 100 pages of the book are devoted to poses & partner poses. I love that they are listed alphabetically and included in the index in the back (so easy to find what you are looking for!). Includes benefits, “what to do” & “what to say” & a fabulous color photo for every pose. Many include suggested modifications or variations for the pose. Some information about contraindications for particular poses is included.
- includes 24 yoga games with benefits, “what to do” & “what to say” for each. Four include a color photo . So many fun new ideas to try!
- includes 16 song & chant activities. Many go along with the I Grow With Yoga Music CD.
- includes tips and 7 transitioning into relaxation activities, 7 relaxation activities & 9 guided visualizations (love, Love, LOVE the simple rhymes & scripts included! It helps to have these scripts as inspiration to then personalize these experiences to meet your own kids needs. I can’t wait to try out “yoga wand” “sea scarf” “gratitude rock” & more!)
- includes tips for putting it all together into yoga flow sequences (love that the pics are included on these pages rather than just referencing where the poses were found earlier in the book. This makes this book so easy to just pull & use! I also love that Lisa includes info about “setting an intention” for a class & using themes)
- while this is not a book specifically about yoga for kids with special needs, the details Lisa included about the “benefits” of each activity will make it easy for any parent, teacher or therapist to find those that will best suit a particular child’s special needs. As she shares in the introduction of the book, Lisa has a son with Sensory Processing Disorder & Attention Deficit Disorder. She has gone to great effort to include evidence-based information in this book and has even more research available on her Yoga 4 Classrooms website.
A look inside the book:
Purchase: Available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Childlight Yoga, Adams Media (publisher)
About the Author: Lisa Flynn, E-RYT, RCYT, Founder of ChildLight Yoga and Yoga 4 Classrooms, has an award-winning kids’ yoga studio in Dover, New Hampshire. Certified in several schools of yoga for children and adults, Lisa shares her knowledge with hundreds of parents, educators, and yoga teachers every year through her trainings and workshops. She is also the author of the fabulous Yoga
4 Classrooms Activity Card Deck. You can visit her websites at http://www.childlightyoga.com/ & http://www.yoga4classrooms.com/.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/childlightyoga & https://www.facebook.com/yoga4classrooms
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChildLightYoga & https://twitter.com/yoga4classrooms
Blog: http://www.thekidsyogaresource.com/ & http://www.yoga4classrooms.com/_blog/Yoga_4_Classrooms_Blog/
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.Starting in 2013, a new component of reviews & giveaways hosted on OMazing Kids is that a review will be added on Amazon.com (for products sold on that site). See my Amazon profile at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1JKVLELLSX7FD?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_aya_bb_pdp.
How to enter the A Way to Give – Giveaway:
- Required Entry Method: Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids – Contests & Giveaways Facebook page (http://a.pgtb.me/plpbTf) & mention why this book would be helpful to you. Also nominate a friend, relative, teacher, therapist, school, clinic, library, etc… it can be any individual (other than yourself) or setting & tell us why they would benefit from having it (details will count in selecting the winner). Only entries that include a nomination will be valid…. so take the time to think of someone besides yourself who would benefit from having this. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; must use respectful people-first language, 1 entry per person).
- Bonus Entry Options:
- Invite some friends to “like” the OMazing Kids Facebook page (comment here on this blog post to let me know you did)
- Share this review on Facebook & include a @OMazing Kids to tag my page – (comment here on this blog post to let me know you did)
- Helpful Info & Tips: I use the “Giveaways” tab because it saves me the step having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail. FYI…. I use a free app from Shortstack for that tab and have no control over technical difficulties either on their end or on Facebook. The Facebook tab may not work on a cell phone. If you experience that, try again on a computer. Make sure you are logged in as yourself (not a page) when using the tab. In the event that you experience difficulties with the FB entry tab, please e-mail me specific details so I can attempt to fix it. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org . The entry deadline may be extended at the sole discretion of OMazing Kids in the event of prolonged entry tab problems
- Each “giveaway” is handled separately on OMazing Kids. So there are no rules prohibiting previous winners from entering this or future giveaways. I really do read every entry in every giveaway carefully to insure that the products end up in the best hands to impact kids lives.
Entry Deadline: 11:59pm CST on July 24, 2013.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- USA entries only for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- The winner will be chosen from valid entries on July 25, 2013.
The winner & the person/place they nominate will each receive 1 copy of this book.
(This is the “A Way To Give” portion of giveaways on OMazing Kids. I was inspired to make giveaways more meaningful after this experience. Think of it as a way to plant some seeds.)
- The winner will be notified via e-mail, will be posted on the blog post & will be posted on the OMazing Kids Facebook page. The company offering the prize may also post the winner’s name on their website, blog, Facebook page and/or other social media sites at their discretion.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the company and they will be mailing the prizes directly to the winners. Any questions about the prize should be directed to the company.
- Prize Value: $17.95
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids yoga book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
Boardmaker Share: http://www.boardmakershare.com/Community/FriendsProfile/10916/Angela-Moorad
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar or any ads or unusual hyperlinks that may appear above. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here. I have attempted to remove the CouponDropDown but no luck so far….