Say! I Love Yoga with Green Eggs & Ham! (a fun kids yoga theme)
Green Eggs & Ham has always been one of my favorite Dr. Seuss books and I use it frequently in my work as a speech-language pathologist at the JD McCarty Center. It is great to work on vocabulary and prepositions & has a good repeated line that is perfect to record into a Big Mack or other single message voice output communication aide.
This year I found a new way to use this beloved classic….. it is perfect for kids yoga! The kids LOVED it during our OMazing Kids Yoga group on Dr. Seuss’ birthday.
Here are the poses & activities that we did:
- I am Sam = did the “I am Happy, I am Good” chant & song from Radiant Child and then chanted each of the kids names
- Egg = child’s pose (http://yogainmyschool.com/2010/01/08/kids-yoga-poses-childs-pose-balasana/)
- Here or There = seated twist and added an extended arms to point (http://yogainmyschool.com/2010/07/05/seated-yoga-twists-for-kids/)
- Mouse = child’s pose
- Fox = cat pose with alternating leg extended as the bushy fox tail (http://yogainmyschool.com/2009/09/07/cat-cow-pose/)
- Car = used the “Bumpy Camel Ride” from Radiant Child – it became a bumpy car ride
- Of course we needed to do “Washing Machine & Dryer” to clean our clothes after that bumpy ride (first 33 sec: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK_6YppMQz0)
- Did side stretches as we pretended to put the clothes back on
- Tree = tree pose (http://yogainmyschool.com/2010/01/27/kids-yoga-poses-tree-pose-vrksasana/)
- Train = group pose – sat lined up and moved our arms in unison as we did “soft” breaths as the train moved slowly & “louder” breaths as it sped up
- In the Dark = rubbed palms together & then covered our eyes
- In the Rain = partner pose – took turns doing rain drop massages on each others backs (good opportunity to practice asking permission before touching, soft vs. hard touch, turn taking, etc.)
- Goat = deer pose (http://yogainmyschool.com/2010/07/19/kids-yoga-poses-deer-pose-marichiyasana-ii/)
- Boat = boat pose (http://yogainmyschool.com/2009/07/27/boat-pose/)
The message of the book is great too… try something new and you may like it!
I do so like Green Eggs & Ham! Thank you! Thank You! Sam-the yogini-I-Am 🙂
Video Clips of Green Eggs & Ham Yoga @ Educare OKC – OMazing Kids Yoga – 3/7/12: https://omazingkidsllc.com/2012/03/14/video-clips-of-green-eggs-ham-yoga-educare-okc-omazing-kids-yoga-on-3-7-12/
See a fun “flip the pose” idea from Mountain Kids Yoga: https://www.facebook.com/MountainKidsYoga#!/photo.php?fbid=217849171693906&set=a.217849125027244.1073741825.170868623058628&type=1&theater
Here is a Green Eggs & Ham coloring sheet: Green Eggs & Ham coloring page
3 page PDF of Green Eggs and Ham Doodle Sheets
(P.S. My Radiant Child Yoga Teacher Training helped rekindle my imagination! Thanks Rebe 🙂 — http://www.childrensyoga.com/)
Update 2/21/13: check out more fun ideas for the book: http://www.coffeecupsandcrayons.com/green-eggs-and-ham-dr-seuss-activities/
Update 4/2/13: More fun kids yoga ideas for the book on the updated website: http://www.bookwormyoga.co.uk/#!greeneggsandham/c1vj8. Love Barb’s printable lesson plans!
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.