Wow! This is the most comprehensive yet easy to read book on Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) I have ever read in my 22 year career as a SLP.
I LOVE how the book is organized in an extremely easy to read and user-friendly format. It is overflowing with a wealth of information, helpful resources & tips. I also love how well she covered commonly co-occuring diagnoses and lots of therapeutic techniques. Yoga for kids is even mentioned a few times 🙂 There are lots of practical ideas that would be easy for most families to use. I highly recommend this book as a “must have” addition to the library of all pediatric Speech-Language Pathologists, other therapists, teachers and parents of children with CAS.
Amazon has a very extensive preview inside this book: http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Apraxia-Parents-Childhood-Speech/dp/1606130617#reader_1606130617
At last, a parents’ guide to understanding, treating, and living with childhood apraxia of speech (CAS). Written in an empathic style by a parent who “has been there”, Speaking of Apraxia offers hope and practical advice for parents of toddlers to teens with this neurologically-based motor speech disorder. Characterized by difficulties with planning and producing the complex set of movements necessary for intelligible speech, CAS can be a child’s only diagnosis or can be accompanied by other special needs such as learning disabilities, Down syndrome, or autism. Parents and professionals will appreciate the author’s clear explanations of everything from diagnosing CAS and working with speech-language pathologists (SLPs), to understanding how to distinguish it from other speech disorders, and getting appropriate early intervention and special education support.
Drawing on the latest research, professionals’ insights, her own and other parents’ experience, the author covers these important topics:
- I: The Straight Scoop on Speech Basics–CAS definition; An Overview of Speech & Language; Where to Get Help and What to Ask; Your First Appointment with an SLP
- II: Now What?!–Getting, Coping with and Understanding the Diagnosis; Health & Genetics; All about Speech Therapy
- III: Helping Your Child–Complementary and Alternative Medical and Treatment Approaches (Diet, Music, Movement Therapy and More)
- IV: Off to School–Getting Ready; Special Education Ins & Outs; Phonological Awareness; Reading Issues
- V: Coping & Hoping–Dealing with Emotions and Family Life; What the Future May Hold; Networking, Support Groups, and Advocacy
- Appendices: Information on insurance, summer camps and enrichment programs, speech-language milestones, and a glossary of terms
Speaking of Apraxia is a comprehensive and authoritative resource any family, SLP, occupational therapist, or pediatric practice will be glad to own or recommend.
2012, Paperback, 7″ x 10″, 450 pages
Price: $24.95 (the best deal on the date of this post was $16.47 on Amazon)
Available for purchase on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Speaking-Apraxia-Parents-Childhood-Speech/dp/1606130617, Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/speaking-of-apraxia-leslie-a-lindsay/1110915108, and Woodbine House: http://www.woodbinehouse.com/main.asp_Q_product_id_E_978-1-60613-061-2
About the Author: Leslie Lindsay was formerly a Child and Adolescent Psychiatric nurse at the Mayo Clinic. She attended the University of Missouri-Columbia and earned a B.S.N. from the Sinclair School of Nursing with a minor in psychology. She and her family, including a daughter with CAS, live in suburban Chicago. She writes about a range of parenting issues on her blog, Leslie 4 Kids: http://leslie4kids.wordpress.com/. Find her on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Speaking-of-Apraxia-A-Parents-Guide-to-Childhood-Apraxia-of-Speech/235772599837084
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
See another great review of this book on the Consonantly Speaking blog: http://consonantlyspeaking.com/posts/2012/06/abcs-4-slps-a-is-for-apraxia-of-speech-speaking-of-apraxia-a-parents-guide-to
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how this book would be helpful & whether you are a therapist, teacher or a parent/caregiver of a child with CAS (or suspected CAS). (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how this book would be helpful & whether you are a therapist, teacher or a parent/caregiver of a child with CAS (or suspected CAS). (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save me the step of having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on June 12, 2012.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- International entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- One (1) winner will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on June 13, 2012.
- The winner will receive one (1) copy of the book.
- The winner will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- If a winner only entered via blog post, their mailing address will be obtained via e-mail.
- In the event that a winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the company and they will be mailing the book directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: $24.95
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.