Top Tips for Picking a Tablet and Case for SLPs
- Invest in an iPad with the most memory that you can afford.
- Most therapy and AAC apps are large and you cannot add memory to an iPad later.
- Apple has a history of dropping support for older devices. So it is best to get a model that is no more than one year old.
- Don’t get an Android tablet. There are very few good therapeutic or AAC apps for Android tablets and the few that do exist are not updated as often as the iOS version of that app.
- My most recent purchase was a 2016 iPad Pro 9.7″ with 256GB memory.
- I specifically wanted a Pro for the four speakers for AAC and playing music in a group. I went with the 9.7” size since it fit in a Gripcase with handles on all sides.
- If you don’t need the extra speakers, then I recommend the 2017 iPad with 128GB memory.
- Steer clear of the iPad Air 2 (history of glitchiness)
Be sure to also invest in a good protective case for your new iPad. My personal favorite case is the Gripcase (original style with a handle on all sides). It’s what I have on my new iPad Pro 9.7″ (just needed a little modification with an Exacto knife to carve out two extra speaker openings and a larger opening for the rear facing camera), two iPad Air 1s and an iPad Mini 2. They are lightweight, easy to grab and go and are protective. I’ve had my oldest iPads in those cases for 5 years and have never had an iPad damaged with heavy use all day every day in therapy. I also love the Gripbase stand. Unfortunately they don’t offer their case for all of the various sizes and models of iPads. If you can’t get a Gripcase, then look at a Big Grips Lift case. If neither of those are available, then look on Amazon for a similar style of case but pay close attention to reviews to see the track record for that case being protective.
Note: My recommendations for specific iPad models and cases may change in the future based on the best available options at that point in time. Feel free to send me a message on my OMazing Kids Facebook Page if you have questions 😃
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness & educational activities for kids of all abilities
Facebook Messaging for OMazing Kids: http://m.me/OMazingKidsYoga
AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
Boardmaker Share: http://www.boardmakershare.com/Community/FriendsProfile/10916/Angela-Moorad
Angela Moorad is the founder of OMazing Kids, LLC and is an ASHA certified & licensed pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist and Kids Yoga Teacher with over 27 years experience working in a variety of settings (early intervention, schools, teletherapy & a nonprofit pediatric rehab hospital for children with developmental disabilities). She is an app beta tester for educational & therapeutic app developers and loves sharing info about great apps, products, books & toys to use with kids of all abilities.