Release Date: April 5, 2011 (540 pages)
Heidi Murkoff’s What to Expect has delivered again. Announcing the arrival of a brand-new member of the What to Expect family: What to Expect the Second Year. The essential sequel to What to Expect the First Year, with 9.7 million copies in print, What to Expect the Second Year picks up the action at baby’s first birthday, and takes parents through what can only be called “the wonder year”—12 jam-packed (and jam-smeared) months of memorable milestones (from first steps to first words, first scribbles to first friends), lightning-speed learning, endless explorations driven by insatiable curiosity. Not to mention a year of challenges, both for toddlers and the parents who love them, but don’t always love their behaviors (picky eating, negativity, separation anxiety, bedtime battles, biting, and tantrums).
Comprehensive, reassuring, empathetic, realistic, and practical, What to Expect the Second Year is filled with solutions, strategies, and plenty of parental pep talks. It helps parents decode the fascinating, complicated, sometimes maddening, always adorable little person last year’s baby has become.
From the first birthday to the second, this must-have book covers everything parents need to know in an easy-to-access, topic-by-topic format, with chapters on growth, feeding, sleeping, behaviors of every conceivable kind, discipline (including teaching right from wrong), and keeping a toddler healthy and safe as he or she takes on the world. There’s a developmental time line of the second year plus special “milestone” boxes throughout that help parents keep track of their toddler’s development. Thinking of traveling with tot in tow? There’s a chapter for that, too.
My favorite features of this book:
- Easy to find the info you are looking for thanks to the great table of contents & index.
- Extensive info about developmental milestones in an easy to understand format.
- Great info on spotting vision & hearing problems.
- Loved the ideas for activities for “outlets for high-energy toddlers”.
- Extensive chapter on handling very specific behavior issues.
- Good information on Developmental Disorders. With the increased prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders & Sensory Processing Disorders, it was nice to see a good amount of information included on these conditions.
Some of the preview pages inside the book on Amazon:
Price at the time of this post: $15.95
Available for purchase on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/What-Expect-Second-Year-Publishing/dp/0761152776
Check out the What To Expect website & “follow” their social media pages for more info:
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids – Contests & Giveaways Facebook page (http://a.pgtb.me/plpbTf) & mention how you would be using this book. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this book. If you only enter via blog post comment, you must also send me an e-mail with your mailing address (send to email@example.com. You will not need to do this if you also entered via the Enter Contests Here…. tab on Facebook since your address will be provided on that entry (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Helpful Info & Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save you the step of e-mailing me your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail. FYI…. I use a free app from Shortstack for that tab and have no control over technical difficulties either on their end or on Facebook. In the event that you experience difficulties with the tab you can submit an entry via e-mail providing your full name, e-mail address, mailing address, how you would be using the book. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately Facebook rules prohibit me from accepting entries directly from posts or comments on Facebook.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on October 26, 2012.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA & Canada entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Contests Here…. tab on Facebook or e-mail may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Two (2) winners will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on October 27, 2012.
- Each winner will receive one (1) copy of the book.
- The winners will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- Each winner’s address will be forwarded to the publishing company and they will be mailing the prize directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: $15.95
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a child development book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.