1.. 2.. 3.. Easy Steps to Getting started with Boom Cards
1. Sign up for the free Starter account: https://wow.boomlearning.com
2. Install the free app on your device:
* iOS: Boom Cards by Omega Labs, https://apps.apple.com/us/app/boom-cards/id1041141473, iOS Universal, iOS 10.0 or later, FREE).
* Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cards.boom.boom
* Kindle Fire: https://www.amazon.com/Boom-Learning-Cards/dp/B01M8M6OFF/
* Or can be used online via your computer
3. Find Boom Decks:
* Start by searching through their store for Boom Card decks. There are lots of free ones. Every Friday you can search by “flashfridayfreebie” and find several (https://wow.boomlearning.com/search?collection=Decks&keyword=flashfridayfreebie&sort=publishDate&order=-1). But you can find others just by looking through the store. It’s kind of like Teachers Pay Teachers in that many of the creators have at least one free item. The “paid” ones are on a point system.
* Many of the sellers over on TPT also have Boom Cards there (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Browse/Search:BOOM%20cards/PreK-12-Subject-Area/Speech-Therapy/Order:Price-Asc). When you download one there it will contain a link to unlock the deck over on the Boom Learning site.
This video is free on TPT and is a helpful quick overview: Crash Course: Getting Started with Using Boom Cards™ Speech Therapy (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Crash-Course-Getting-Started-with-Using-Boom-Cards-Speech-Therapy-4856795, also on YouTube: https://youtu.be/csZ4Ibkivek)
This handout is free on TPT and looks helpful to send to parents: Free BOOM Cards Letter to Send Home for Virtual Distance Learning (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Free-BOOM-Cards-Letter-to-Send-Home-for-Virtual-Distance-Learning-5841401)
The Boom Learning YouTube channel also has helpful info: https://www.youtube.com/c/boomlearning and their Help Center: https://boomlearning.freshdesk.com/support/home
I haven’t tried creating my own Boom Card decks yet so I don’t know how easy it is… I just recently started looking at them to see what all the buzz was about. If you’ve followed my blog page or social media sites for many years and have used lots of apps, Boom Cards seem to be the fad right now (like when apps first came out). But even the best Boom Card decks that I’ve seen aren’t anywhere near the quality of a well designed app. However I can see the appeal of the fast pin and data tracking features for those doing distance learning / teletherapy in the midst of the pandemic.
It will be interesting to see how sustainable Boom Cards will be since most of the folks are looking for free decks.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC
AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/