One of my favorite books to help kids learn about feelings is “My Many Colored Days” by Dr. Seuss.
Combine it with the amazing song “Colors” by Kira Willey, an assortment of music to correspond to each color, yoga poses for each animal in the book, colored scarves, a few printable craft activities & the CALM Picture relaxation script for a fun way to help kids explore feelings in a multi-sensory way.
- book – “My Many Colored Days” (Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Many-Colored-Days-Fancher-Seuss/dp/0679875972)
- colored scarves (Lakeshore: http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2C897%2C428&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1313878744293 )
- music for each color (my playlist on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/omazing-kids-yoga/sets/my-many-colored-days/). Song 12: Mixed Up Day – Take Five by The Dave Brubeck Quartet & Song 13: Back To Me – La Valse D’Ame’lie by Yann Tiersen would not upload to Soundcloud for some reason…. You can listen to the music on Soundcloud to get a feel for the music but I purposefully disabled the “download” feature and encourage folks to purchase the mp3’s via Amazon or iTunes if they plan on using the songs in their kids yoga classes… because it’s the right thing to do🙂 Inspired by a post from Maria’s Movers: http://mariasmovers.com/2011/03/dance-by-color-my-many-colored-days/.
- OR save some time and buy a complete kit from Arts Education IDEAS: http://store.aeideas.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCARF-MYMCD2&Category_Code=SCARF – as of 8/22/11 the kit is $29.99 and includes:
- The board book My Many Colored Days, by Dr. Seuss.
- 10 durable 27” square, washable nylon scarves – 1 of each of the following 10 colors: purple, royal blue, gray, black, orange, red, kelly green, brown, pink and yellow.
- IDEAS Colors Music CD with short sound/color segments, then entire pieces, all chosen for mood and movement.
- Updated 10/19/15: I received an e-mail inquiry… that link no longer works but it looks like the company still sells the product through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SALE-MULTI-AWARD-WINNING-Childrens-Individual/dp/B0033YD660
- a set of kids – 1 for each color
My Many Colored Days – kid color cutouts template: My Many Colored Days – kid color cutouts template
- copies of the Coloring Sheet – My Many Colored Days – The color ____makes me feel____ (PDF)
- copies of the Bookmarks – My Many Colored Days (PDF)
- copies of the My Many Colored Days – coloring sheet with animals
- laminated bulletin board accents to use as props for the Color the Room Warm Up
- the CALM Picture Activity relaxation script – (included in the free Relax Kids 21 Day Plan http://www.relaxkids.com/21days/online/index.html – on day 21; also available as PDF: http://www.relaxkids.com/21days/ )
- plain white paper
- crayons, colored pencils or markers (keep each child’s unique fine motor & sensory needs in mind)
- picture cards for the song “Colors” by Kira Willey – Printable for “Colors” by Kira Willey
OMazing Kids Yoga StoryStretchers “My Many Colored Days” event in a Pre-K class at Roosevelt Elementary School in Norman, Oklahoma (YouTube videos):
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-kVgjYeDDA – owl pose
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWiLeleOm4o – modified fish pose
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_HydAugxnc – buzzing bee breath
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9ysnsbHKo – dinosaur pose
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTbPf3W-k8 – seal with a ball
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7D8zXsswKM – wolf (howling upward facing dog) pose
- Cool YouTube video of the book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lum83DLPXIw
- Yoga opportunities in this book: horse, bird, bear, buzzing bee breaths, owl, seal, fish, dinosaur, flamingo, wolf (up dog + howling), mixed up (make up a pose)
- Use colored scarves for kids to explore looking through them, moving with them and blowing on them.
- Different colors evoke different feelings in each person and may change depending on the context (a calm blue ocean, a happy blue bird chirping, a sad person singing the blues)… it is especially helpful for kids with Autism to explore multiple possibilities of meanings for each color. The meanings for each color vary in the song “Colors” by Kira Willey vs. what is depicted in the book “My Many Colored Days”.
- More ideas at the Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning (CSEFEL) Book Nook: http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/booknook/many_colored_days.pdf
See how to do sign language with the story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdw6s_0ZIuw
Lots of pose ideas for the book from my friends at Kid Partners, Inc.: My Many Colored Days – pose ideas printable from Kid Partners, Inc. – http://www.kidpartners.net/programs/kid_partners_yoga (PDF: http://www.kidpartners.net/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/MCD_Pose_Ideas_per_Color_KPY.4784355.pdf)
What fun way to recycle-repurpose-resuse broken crayons! It would be fun to make these one week and then use them the next in a “My Many Colored Days” themed class. See this post from The Imagination Tree to see how to make them: http://www.theimaginationtree.com/2011/08/diy-rainbow-crayons.html
Tons of fun for kids of all abilities!
Stop by the OMazing Kids Yoga Facebook page for more fun ideas: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga
Update 5/17/13: Looking for more ideas for a feelings-themed kids yoga class? Check out this great post on the Be Yoga Be Love blog: http://beyogabelove.wordpress.com/2013/05/17/everyone-has-feelings/
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.