Review: Imaginations 3 – Guided Meditations and Yoga for Kids
The third book in the Imaginations Series, Imaginations 3: Guided Meditations and Yoga for Kids is an essential resource for every parent and teacher who wants to help children learn to calm their bodies and relax their minds.
The benefits of relaxation for kids include:
• Reduced stress
• Better concentration and focus
• Enhanced ability to learn
• Improved behavior and sleep
• Increased self-esteem
Relaxation Story Titles:
Tight and Soft
A Bird’s-Eye View
On a Farm
The Apple Tree
Riding a Comet
Flying Carpet Ride to India
See the Music
Peaceful Body, Peaceful World
What I LOVE about this book:
- Includes 18 relaxation scripts specifically written for kids. The scripts are short and based on kid-friendly themes. Most of these are themes commonly used in kids yoga classes so this book is sure to become a loved & well used resource!
- These relaxation scripts will also be helpful in my work as a Speech-Language Pathologist. Many of the kids I see have high levels of anxiety and often have difficulty sleeping. I often incorporate relaxation techniques into my sessions, especially for kids with Autism, Asperger’s, ADHD & Stuttering.
- The scripts are free of any wording that have religious connotations which makes them easy to use in any setting.
- Each 2-page spread has a script & a full page illustration. The illustrations capture the essence of the script and many have a “retro” feel to them. I love having a picture to show kids before I read a relaxation script. Many of the kids I work with have special needs and relate well to visuals.
- Large easy to read text.
- Great additional info in the introduction sections. Love the simplified intro written specifically for kids!
- Includes pictures & instructions for four yoga poses as prep for relaxation (knee hug, happy baby, legs up & starfish savasana) and five breathing games (Hoberman Sphere, heart breath, yawning breath, humming breath & buzzing bee breath)
A sneek-peek inside the book. Since there were not any pics on Amazon of any of the actual 2-page spread relaxation stories, I took these pics but masked out most of the text. It will at least give you a “feel” for what the stories are like:
I love fall & pumkins so this relaxation story was definitely a fave 🙂
Can’t wait to use this in an outer spaced themed class!
Author’s website & blog: http://bambinoyoga.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BambinoYoga & http://www.facebook.com/imaginationsforkids
Available for purchase on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Imaginations-Guided-Meditations-Yoga-Kids/dp/0990732258
All three books and a few individual relaxation stories PDFs can also be purchased on the author’s website: http://bambinoyoga.com/shop/.
See info about the first book in this series in this review: https://omazingkidsllc.com/2012/08/26/review-giveaway-imaginations-fun-relaxation-stories-and-meditations-for-kids/
Review for second book: https://omazingkidsllc.com/2014/11/01/review-imaginations-fun-relaxation-stories-and-guided-imagery-for-kids-2/
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP
Speech-Language Pathologist & Kids Yoga Teacher
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness & educational activities for kids of all abilities
Facebook Messaging for OMazing Kids: https://www.facebook.com/messages/17426452595789
AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
Boardmaker Share: http://www.boardmakershare.com/Community/FriendsProfile/10916/Angela-Moorad
Angela Moorad is the founder of OMazing Kids, LLC and is an ASHA certified & licensed pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist and Kids Yoga Teacher with 27 years experience working in a variety of settings (early intervention, schools, teletherapy & a nonprofit pediatric rehab hospital for children with developmental disabilities). She is an app beta tester for educational & therapeutic app developers and loves sharing info about great apps, products, books & toys to use with kids of all abilities.