Spanish AAC Apps, Devices & Resources (Hablo con CAA)
It can be challenging to find information about and resources for AAC in languages other than English. Since Spanish is the most common language after English in my state I have compiled a list to make it easier to share with parents:
Hablo con CAA is a great website in Spanish: https://habloconcaa.wordpress.com. They also have a Facebook page & Facebook group. Most posts are in Spanish.
Prompting hierarchy: https://habloconcaa.wordpress.com/2017/10/01/repensar-la-jerarquia-de-peticiones-en-la-caa-aac-prompting-hierarchy/
Video about Aided Language Stimulation – in Spanish:
The Communication Matrix assessment is available online in Spanish: https://communicationmatrix.org. See this post in Spanish explaining the website: https://habloconcaa.wordpress.com/2017/05/04/evaluando-la-caa-la-matriz-de-comunicacion/
Saltillo webinars in Spanish: https://saltillo.com/videos/x/webinar/es
Saltillo Core Vocabulary handout: https://saltillo.com/downloads/chat/escogiendo-el-vocabulario-clave-el-acercamiento-de-actividad-primero-choosing-core-vocabulary-act/Escogiendo%20el%20vocabulario%20clave%20El%20acercamiento%20de%20actividad%20primero.pdf
PRC Spanish info: https://www.prentrom.com/prc_advantage/unidad-espanol-language-system
LAMP Words for Life Quick Reference Guide in Spanish:
Assistiveware’s resources for Proloquo2Go in Spanish: http://www.assistiveware.com/es/producto/proloquo2go/recursos
Core Word Board: front: http://coreword.assistiveware.com/uploads/db6476/original/1X/1f0f35191fd7c602c2016dfec3f5f3980d4255f2.pdf, back: http://coreword.assistiveware.com/uploads/db6476/original/1X/8ffa70e175c74006c2b60b7d0a229ff1ab8f7d2d.pdf
Core Word Poster: http://download.assistiveware.com/assistiveware/files/A0-840×1189-CoreWord-Poster-es-ES.pdf
AssistiveWare’s Spanish user group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2123537574601002/
More printable options:
* AAC Core Words to Go in Spanish Picture Communication (available for purchase on Teachers Pay Teachers: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/AAC-Core-Words-to-Go-in-Spanish-Picture-Communication-1829593)
* Spanish Communication Flip Board (FREE on Teachers Pay Teachers: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Spanish-Communication-Flip-Board-2838262)
* Graduated Core Word Photo Boards with Flip Fringe Vocab & Spanish Version (FREE on TPT: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Graduated-Core-Word-Photo-Boards-with-Flip-Fringe-Vocab-Spanish-Version-3127128)
* 72 Spanish Graduated Core Board (FREE on TPT: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/72-Spanish-Graduated-Core-Board-2865788)
Adapted books: http://chapelhillsnippets.blogspot.com/p/spanish.html
High Tech AAC for Spanish Speakers – in the ASHA Leader 3/18/16: http://blog.asha.org/2016/03/08/high-tech-aac-for-spanish-speakers/ (note: The AAC app world is constantly changing. Even though that article is less than 2 years old it is already outdated. LAMP Words for Life now has a bilingual Spanish/English option & Snap + Core First has been released and then updated to add a bilingual Spanish/English option).
PrAACtical AAC: http://praacticalaac.org/?s=Spanish & https://praacticalaac.org/?s=CAA
Boardmaker boards in Spanish: http://prekese.dadeschools.net/Resources/BMDSpanish.html
Dedicated Speech Generating Devices:
* PRC’s Accent series of devices with UNIDAD bilingual English – Spanish language system.
* Saltillo’s NovaChat series of devices. Several Spanish pageset options.
* Tobii Dynavox offers Snap + Core First in several dedicated devices. This vocabulary has a bilingual Spanish/English option.
Robust AAC apps:
* CoughDrop by CoughDrop, Inc., https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/coughdrop/id1021384570?mt=8
How to translate a board in CoughDrop: https://coughdrop.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001290091-How-can-I-translate-a-speech-board-into-a-different-language-
* Proloquo2Go by AssistiveWare
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proloquo2go/id308368164?mt=8, has a bilingual Spanish/English option
* Proloquo4Text by AssistiveWare, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proloquo4text/id751646884?mt=8 (has Spanish option)
* LAMP Words For Life by Prentke Romich Company
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lamp-words-for-life/id551215116?mt=8, has a bilingual Spanish/English option
* Snap + Core First by Tobii Dynavox LLC
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/snap-core-first/id1072799231?mt=8, has a bilingual Spanish/English option
* TouchChat HD – AAC with WordPower by Silver Kite
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/touchchat-hd-aac-with-wordpower/id412351574?mt=8, has 10 different Spanish pagesets options within the app
* Avaz Español – AAC App para el autismo (Software de comunicación aumentativa Imagen para Niños con Necesidades Especiales) by Avaz, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avaz-espa%C3%B1ol-aac-app-para-autismo-software-comunicaci%C3%B3n/id923997149?mt=8 – Spanish only
* BRIDGE Communication by Bioprism, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bridge-communication/id983660714?mt=8 (has Spanish & English options in the settings area)
Other AAC apps (not robust but can be helpful to meet specific needs):
* LetMeTalk by AppNotize UG (haftungsbeschraenkt), https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/letmetalk/id919990138?mt=8 (Android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.appnotize.letmetalk&hl=en)
* Verbal Me Español by fishdog.net, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/verbal-me-espa%C3%B1ol/id747621945?mt=8
3/15/20: Check out the updated Pinterest boards by Lauren Enders. Nicely organized by sections within the board to help you find what you’re looking for: https://www.pinterest.com/lasenders/aac-caa-spanish-implementation-supports/
5/1/20: Spanish translations of the great handouts from The AAC Coach – in this album on Facebook:
5/1/20: Spanish versions of Users Guides for GoTalk products & GoTalk apps from Attainment Company
GoTalk 4+ User Guide – Spanish Version
(For this product: https://www.attainmentcompany.com/gotalk-4)
GoTalk 9+ User Guide – Spanish Version
(For this product: https://www.attainmentcompany.com/gotalk-9)
GoTalk 20+ User Guide – Spanish Version
(For this product: https://www.attainmentcompany.com/gotalk-20)
GoTalk Express 32 User Guide – Spanish Version
(For this product: https://www.attainmentcompany.com/gotalk-express-32)
GoTalk Now AAC app Users Guide
(For this app: https://www.attainmentcompany.com/gotalk-now. The same guide should be applicable to the other versions of the app. I use this version: https://www.attainmentcompany.com/gotalk-now-plus). The Users Guide is also available within the help section in the apps. The Spanish version will only appear if the iPad’s language is set to Spanish (Settings > General > iPad Language & Regions). Then, when in the app, if you go to the Help section it will display the Spanish guide.
More info: As you adjust the language on that iPad (Settings > General > iPad Language & Regions) the buttons in the app are translated and the user guide has been translated for Chinese, Czech, English, Finnish, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, and Ukrainian. Then, for Danish and Greek, the app is translated into the language, but the user guide remains English.
It is also worth noting that the app can be programmed to speak any language supported by the iPad. For instance, someone who speaks French and has a French keyboard downloaded on their iPad, when they use the text-to-speech within the app, it will speak in French.
A Facebook page in Spanish with frequent AAC posts: https://m.facebook.com/patriciagutierrez.es/
Spanish translation of Lauren Enders’ brand new AAC Boot Camp Infographic (CAMPAMENTO DE CAA (en Español)): http://bit.ly/CampamentodeCAA2020
(English version: http://bit.ly/AACBootCamp2020PDF)
Culturally Responsive AAC, https://aac.sfsu.edu/content/multicultural-aac
Protocol for the Analysis of Aided Language Samples in Spanish (PAALSS): https://doi.org/10.23641/asha.19233237 (Supplemental material)
If you know of other good Spanish AAC resources, feel free to let me know over on Facebook messaging on my OMazing Kids page.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness & educational activities for kids of all abilities
Facebook Messaging for OMazing Kids: http://m.me/OMazingKidsYoga (note: Facebook frequently changes the link to messaging so if this one doesn’t work head over to my page and click on the “Send Message” button)
AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
Boardmaker Share: http://www.boardmakershare.com/Community/FriendsProfile/10916/Angela-Moorad
Angela Moorad is the founder of OMazing Kids, LLC and is an ASHA certified & licensed pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist and Kids Yoga Teacher with 28 years experience working in a variety of settings (early intervention, schools, teletherapy & a nonprofit pediatric rehab hospital for children with developmental disabilities). She is an app beta tester for educational & therapeutic app developers and loves sharing info about great apps, products, books & toys to use with kids of all abilities.