Mindful Kids: 50 Mindfulness Activities for Kindness, Focus and Calm by Whitney Stewart and Mina Braun
Be still my heart! This is the best new kids mindfulness product that I’ve seen in a long time. The boxed card deck includes 50 creative mindfulness games, visualizations and exercises divided into 5 categories to help children feel grounded, find calm, improve focus, practice loving-kindness and relax. Whimsical full-color illustrations on both sides of the cards break down each practice into easy-to-follow steps. Tips on individual cards plus an 8-page instructional booklet show modifications that make these activities inclusive for children of all abilities.
What I love about these cards:
* Large 5″ X 7″ sturdy cards with a protective coating. The size will be helpful in groups as well as 1-on-1 sessions and the two sided card format is easy to “grab and go”.
* Whimsical colorful illustrations depicting kids of diverse ethnic backgrounds and abilities participating in the activities. The color and style of illustrations are not childish. This makes this card set useable for a wide range of ages (says “ages 4-104” on the front of the storage box)
* The front of each card has a large illustration, activity category with color coded edge, activity title and brief description.
* The back of each card has illustrated step-by-step simple instructions. I love how simple the wording is. Some cards have additional tips or challenges.
* Many of the cards deal with a wide range of emotions…. this set is a perfect addition to any SEL (social emotional learning) program!
* A few cards address “dealing with change”…. this is often difficult for my patients with Autism, OCD and other special needs so I’m especially excited about these cards.
* There are no religious images, words or symbols. This will make this card set usable in a wide range of environments.
* The instructional booklet has simple kid-friendly explanations about mindfulness and the five categories of activities. Also includes tips for modifying activities.
* The cards come in a sturdy storage box with hinged lid covered in whimsical colorful illustrations.
List of cards included in each category:
Start Your Day: Stay Grounded. Feel strong, focused and confident as you begin each day.
* Mindful Breaths
* Mindful Mood
* Mountain Rising
* Rooted Like a Tree
* Inhaling the Universe
* Cloud Burst
* Mindful Jungle Movement
* Reflection Pond
* Words to Yourself
* Rings of Light
Find Calm: Ride Your Waves. Learn to handle tricky or challenging emotions.
* Shake the Sillies Out
* Balanced Breathing
* Tummy Ride
* Mind Bubbles
* The Power of Blue
* Joyful Jellyfish
* Happy Hum
* Fist Squeeze
* Finding the Pause
* Peaceful Place
Focus: Strengthen Your Mind. Wake up your brain, build concentration and sharpen your sensory awareness.
* Tap and Wiggle
* Finger Fiddle
* Mind Castle
* Wise Old Owl
* Mental Snapshot
* Mind Magic
* Open Ears
* The Nose Knows
* Sharp Eyes
* Mindful Munch
Open Your Heart: Accept Life with Kindness. Feel a sense of self-acceptance and connection to the world.
* Sharing Friendship
* Everything Changes
* Sitting With It
* Name That Feeling
* Finding Feelings
* The Inner Me
* Cooking Up Connections
* Breath by Breath
* Heart Garden
Rest & Relax: Unwind Your Tangles. Reflect, relax and ease your busy mind.
* Animal Dance
* Swaying Trees
* Figure Eights
* Rain Shower
* Rock, Roll and Rest
* Squeeze and Release
* Floating Smiles
* I Am Thankful
* Folding Flower
More details: https://www.barefootbooks.com/index.php?cID=81724
See samples of the cards: http://store.barefootbooks.com/mindful-kids.html
Get a better price on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mindful-Kids-Activities-Focus-Peace/dp/1782853278
About the author: http://whitneystewart.com
This card set is highly recommended as a “must have” resource for therapists, teachers, parents & kids yoga teachers!
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness & educational activities for kids of all abilities
Facebook Messaging for OMazing Kids: http://m.me/OMazingKidsYoga (note: Facebook frequently changes the link to messaging so if this one doesn’t work head over to my page and click on the “Send Message” button)
AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
Boardmaker Share: http://www.boardmakershare.com/Community/FriendsProfile/10916/Angela-Moorad
Angela Moorad is the founder of OMazing Kids, LLC and is an ASHA certified & licensed pediatric Speech-Language Pathologist and Kids Yoga Teacher with 28 years experience working in a variety of settings (early intervention, schools, teletherapy & a nonprofit pediatric rehab hospital for children with developmental disabilities). She is an app beta tester for educational & therapeutic app developers and loves sharing info about great apps, products, books & toys to use with kids of all abilities.