All of us need to feel loved, appreciated & important….. so it is important that we help all of our children to feel and experience that.
But did you know that there are different “types” of “praise” and that for praise to be effective it needs to be “specific”?
Want to learn more? Check out this great post on the Proactive Parenting website: http://proactiveparenting.net/articles/the-key-to-building-your-childs-self-esteem
* (printable PDF: The Key to Building Your Child’s Self Esteem (Specific Praise) ).
Proactive Parenting is on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Sharon.ProActiveParenting.Tips.
And a few research articles:
- “Early Childhood Teachers’ Use of Specific Praise Statements With Young Children at Risk for Behavioral Disorders” http://www.ccbd.net/sites/default/files/bedi-34-03-118.pdf
- “Effect of Varying Rates of Behavior-Specific Praise on the On-Task Behavior of Students with Emotional & Behavioral Disorders (EBD) http://ebx.sagepub.com/content/8/1/2.full.pdf
- “Strategies to Increase Behavior-Specific Teacher Praise in an Inclusive Environment” http://isc.sagepub.com/content/47/2/91.full.pdf+html
- “The Characteristics and Effectiveness of Feedback Interventions Applied in Early Childhood Settings” http://tec.sagepub.com/content/31/2/68.full.pdf+html
And other ideas at: http://www.kellybear.com/TeacherArticles/TeacherTip37.html
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in Norman, Oklahoma
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.