I was thrilled to discover a way to add high quality Acapela child voices to several Android AAC apps. Older teens and adults may be fine using the Android system voices but it’s important to have age appropriate voices for children using AAC. This video shows how I added high quality Acapela voices to several Android AAC apps:
The Acapela voices even worked in the Speech Assistant AAC app side loaded on my Amazon Fire tablet:
I installed the Android Acapela app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acapelagroup.android.tts), purchased the USA English child voices Ella & Josh and the USA Spanish child voices Valeria & Emilio for $7.99 each, and then downloaded them within that app. There are lots of other voice options for lots of different languages. Then I set Acapela TTS as the preferred engine under the Samsung tablet Settings – General Management – Text to Speech. Also set Language to English. Some apps require it to also be set within the app. Those details will be included in the Android AAC feature matching charts (see links below). The Acapela voices worked in some but not all Android apps.
*** Update 9/22/22: The Android Acapela app has been updated so be sure to update it and then redownload your voices.
Here is a list of the Android AAC apps that it worked in on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet at the time of this recording (9/20/22). These also work on my Samsung Galaxy A03s phone.
- AAC Keyboard with Friends
- AsTeRICS Grid
- Cboard (only if using the app while in Guest Mode, not logged in)
- I Can Communicate
- LetMeTalk (an Amazon app that is side loaded on my Samsung tablet)
- Speak It
- Speech Assistant AAC (also worked in the app side loaded on my Amazon Fire tablet. This was the only app that the Acapela voices worked in on my Amazon Fire tablet)
- Yes No AAC
Unfortunately this did not work in the Android version of Avaz since Acapela is not included as a Speech Engine option in the Settings in that app. The company has indicated that they are working on adding child voices back to the Android version of the app
This did not work when System Voices was set within CoughDrop but that app already includes up to 2 high quality voices with a paid account.
Note: This process of accessing Acapela voices is not applicable to iOS AAC apps. Apple handles voices differently.
Looking for Affordable and Free Android AAC apps? Check out this resource: Basic Feature Chart for Affordable and Free AAC apps & AAC-Related Apps (iOS, Android Google Play, Amazon Fire, Windows + a few Web-Based options): https://bit.ly/BasicAffordableAACchart. More info: https://bit.ly/BasicAffordableAACblogpost
Looking for robust AAC options for Android? Check out this resource: Robust Android AAC (Android Google Play & Amazon Fire): https://bit.ly/RobustAndroidAACappChart. More info: https://bit.ly/RobustAndroidAACblogpost
Several videos comparing AAC apps across platforms (iPad, Android, Amazon Fire, Windows): https://bit.ly/5aacFeatureMatchingResources
Have a question? The best way to reach me is via Facebook messaging over on my OMazing Kids page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC, OMazing Kids AAC Consulting
• Teachers Pay Teachers Store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Omazing-Kids-Aac-Consulting
• YouTube: https://youtube.com/user/amoorad1
• Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/omazingkidsaac
• OMazing Kids AAC Consulting Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
• AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
• GoTalk Now AAC & GoVisual Visual Scene Apps – Ideas and Sharing Facebook Group: https://bit.ly/GoTalkNowAACappGroup
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/omazingkidsaac
• Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/amoorad
• Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/OMazingKids/
• Linktree: https://linktr.ee/amoorad1
• Blog: https://omazingkidsllc.com