It has been a pleasant surprise to discover how many of my Android AAC and AAC-related apps can be installed via the Google Play App Store and used on my Pixelbook Go Chromebook.
Of course a Chromebook is not my top pick for an AAC device but I get pretty frequent questions about AAC options for it.
Here are some AAC apps that you *might* be able to use on a Chromebook while working towards getting that student a more portable & durable AAC device. The most robust apps are denoted in bold with an (*)
Note: These all work on my Pixelbook Go. These apps may or may not be an option for your model of Chromebook. The Google Play App Store shows compatibility info. It seems to vary quite a bit depending on the type and brand of device.
• Acapela TTS (this is where you can purchase high quality Acapela synthesized voices. It was cool that the voices that I had already purchased were also available for use on my Chromebook without having to repurchase them. They worked within several AAC apps. I wish Apple offered this type of option for purchasing voices.)
• AAC Keyboard with Friends
• All the FeelZzz
• AsTeRICS Grid
• Avaz (*)
• Card Talk
• CoreVoice (*)
• CoughDrop (*)
• Deaf Note
• Emergency Chat
• I Can Communicate!
• Kids Story Builder
• Niki Talk
• Passy-Muir Trach Tools
• Patient Communicator
• Search on ARASAAC
• Speak It
• Speech Assistant AAC (*)
• Talking Button
• Twinkl Symbols
• Weave Chat
• Yes / No Button
• YesNo AAC
Most of these are affordable or free apps. Info about them and links can be found in the Basic Feature Chart for Affordable and Free AAC apps & AAC-Related Apps (iOS, Android Google Play, Amazon Fire, Windows + a few Web-Based options): https://bit.ly/BasicAffordableAACchart.
In depth info about the Android versions of Avaz, CoreVoice, CoughDrop and Speech Assistant AAC can be found in the Feature Matching Chart for Robust Android AAC Apps (Android Google Play & Amazon Fire): https://bit.ly/RobustAndroidAACappChart.
A free printable handout of this post is available on TPT: https://bit.ly/AAC-Apps-4-Chromebook
This blog post & handout was the sole idea and creation of Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, OMazing Kids AAC Consulting, OMazing Kids, LLC, all rights reserved. © 2022 and beyond. I assume no liability for app purchases and am not making patient-specific recommendations.
Have questions? The best way to reach me is via Facebook messaging over on my OMazing Kids page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC, OMazing Kids AAC Consulting
• Teachers Pay Teachers Store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Omazing-Kids-Aac-Consulting
• YouTube: https://youtube.com/user/amoorad1
• Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/omazingkidsaac
• OMazing Kids AAC Consulting Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
• AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
• GoTalk Now AAC & GoVisual Visual Scene Apps – Ideas and Sharing Facebook Group: https://bit.ly/GoTalkNowAACappGroup
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/omazingkidsaac
• Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/amoorad
• Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/OMazingKids/
• Linktree: https://linktr.ee/amoorad1
• Blog: https://omazingkidsllc.com