Well it has been quite a week of “media hype” regarding kids yoga! Kids yoga being reported as the latest “fitness craze” for kids and that it is the fastest growing “sport” in the nation. Which then led other news media to turn it into a “sports vs. yoga” debate.
Unfortunately our news media has increasingly become about catchy headlines & misinformation.
Imagine if this same amount of coverage was given to accurate information about the positive aspects of well-rounded kids wellness activities?
Coming from the perspective of a Speech-Langauge Pathologist with 23 years of experience working with kids of a wide range of ages, abilities & needs, what drew me to yoga as a wellness activity for kids is how it taps into multiple learning styles, can be easily adapted to meet individual needs, can be done individually or in a group, is non-competitive & has research showing its benefits for kids with special needs (in particular for kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, anxiety, etc…). Here is what I consider to be a well-balanced approach to kids yoga (slide from my presentation at the Oklahoma Autism Conference – click on the slide if you want to see more info):
But kids yoga is just one piece in a larger wellness puzzle for kids. There are many things you can do every day to help kids learn healthy habits that will lead to a lifetime of wellness.
- Making good nutritional choices
- Learning to make exercise a habit. This could be any combination of physical activities that are suited for that child’s individual needs, abilities & interests.
- Identifying sources of stress & learning stress-busting strategies
- Practicing good dental health
- Avoiding smoking, drinking and taking drugs
- Making and maintaining healthy friendships
- Learning positive social skills & how to handle teasing or bullying
- Practicing kindness towards themselves & others
- Always wearing proper safety equipment when playing sports, riding a bike or riding in a car
- Making eco-friendly choices
- Reducing exposure to violence in media, movies & video games
- Internet & social media safety
Looking for info on the top kids health & wellness issues in the US? The C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital National Poll on Children’s Health measures the public’s opinions, perceptions, and priorities regarding today’s most important child health issues and trends.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.