Yesterday there was an SLP who was looking for a free or very inexpensive text-based AAC app with the option for an alphabetical keyboard for use on an Amazon Fire tablet that the patient already owned.
I enjoy helping folks find a good combination of AAC options to meet specific needs & I’m a big supporter of first using whatever tech an individual has and finding a good affordable option to put on that so they have something to use immediately. Then if they need something else like a dedicated device you can do an AAC eval to pursue funding for it.
I had recently done extensive trials of AAC options available on the Amazon Appstore & the Google Play App Store and saved all of that info in my “Basic Feature Chart for Affordable and Free AAC apps & AAC-Related Apps (iOS, Android Google Play, Amazon Fire, Windows + a few Web-Based options)” so I could easily find the combination of very specific options she needed.
This video shows the combination of using the Android version of the Speech Assistant AAC app + the Android Alphabetical Keyboard app side loaded on my Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet:
Apps in the video:
* Speech Assistant AAC (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.asoft.speechassistant
* Alphabetical Keyboard (Android): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.inputmethod.alphabetical
* Academy Speaking Calculator: Amazon: https://a.co/d/bezEtTX & Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CooksonAcademy.mycalculator
This was possible after following instructions that I found online: How to Install the Google Play Store on an Amazon Fire Tablet: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/ (I like that he keeps that post updated. Pay close attention to the instructions for your exact model of tablet & follow the precise instructions)
Want more info about affordable and free AAC and AAC-Related apps across all of the major app platforms (iOS, Android, Amazon Fire & Windows)? Check out the Basic Feature Chart for Affordable and Free AAC apps & AAC-Related Apps: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Basic-Feature-Chart-for-Affordable-and-Free-AAC-apps-AAC-Related-Apps-8327157
Have a question? The best way to reach me is via Facebook messaging over on my OMazing Kids page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC, OMazing Kids AAC Consulting
• Teachers Pay Teachers Store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Omazing-Kids-Aac-Consulting
• YouTube: https://youtube.com/user/amoorad1
• Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/omazingkidsaac
• OMazing Kids AAC Consulting Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
• AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
• GoTalk Now AAC & GoVisual Visual Scene Apps – Ideas and Sharing Facebook Group: https://bit.ly/GoTalkNowAACappGroup
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/omazingkidsaac
• Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/amoorad
• Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/OMazingKids/
• Linktree: https://linktr.ee/amoorad1
• Blog: https://omazingkidsllc.com