Need support with using an AAC app? Most AAC app developers have a Facebook group for that app. Of course each company also offers traditional means of support via phone, e-mail or a contact form but posting a question in the Facebook user group for that app is often the quickest way to get a question answered. All groups have Admins who work for that company. I highly suggest joining these groups for an incredible amount of support from the app developers as well as therapists, teachers, AAC users and parents/caregivers.
Tip #1: Some of these groups are large and have several posts a day. Tagging an Admin or key people help avoid your post from being overlooked. Those who have purchased my Feature Matching Chart for the Top 11 iOS Symbol-Based AAC Apps can look on the row titled “App Support” for my suggestions on who to tag in the groups related to those apps. The chart is available for purchase on my TPT store: https://bit.ly/AACfeatureMatchingChart
Tip #2: Every AAC app users group has it’s own “culture”. Some are very open to discussing any topic. Others are pretty strict about only posting info or questions directly related to that particular app. So be sure to read the “rules” when joining.
Here is a list of Facebook AAC app user groups in English. This list is not all-inclusive. Some apps have separate groups in other languages or separate groups for a particular country or geographical region. I am not listing all of those here. Inclusion on this list is not an “endorsement” of any particular app or approach. This is simply a list to help folks find AAC groups that be helpful for their needs.
- aacorn: https://www.facebook.com/groups/aacornapp/?ref=ts&fref=ts (Note: Neither of the aacorn AAC apps have been updated in over 3 years. The app developer hasn’t responded to questions about his plans to update or support this app in the future. This is no longer an app that anyone should be recommending for purchase)
- Avaz – Avaz Users Family: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1404976513132058/?ref=ts&fref=ts
- Clicker Communicator – Clicker Communicator Users Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Clicker.Communicator/?fref=ts
- CoughDrop – CoughDrop Users Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CoughDropUsers/
- GoTalk Now – informal networking via the “GoTalk Now AAC App – Ideas and Sharing” group that I started on 9/29/21: https://bit.ly/GoTalkNowAACappGroup
- Grid for iPad and Grid 3 (including PODD within those) and all of their devices) – Smartbox Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/smartboxcommunity/?ref=share
- LAMP Words for Life – LAMP Words for Life Users Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1541091616125345/?ref=ts&fref=ts (if you use a PRC or Liberator Accent SGD, also check out this group – Accent Users Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/491906254326527/)
- PECS User Support: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1582702885378197/
- PODD – PODD Trained Discussion Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/poddtraineddiscussion/ & PODD with Alternative Access: https://www.facebook.com/groups/245472458977470/ (also see groups for Grid for iPad/Grid 3, simPODD and TD Snap for app specific questions)
- Proloquo2Go & Proloquo4Text – the groups for these apps are divided by roles
- AssistiveWare’s Teachers and Therapists AAC Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/256837297733511/?ref=ts&fref=ts
- AssistiveWare’s Family Members AAC Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/241684205905600/?ref=ts&fref=ts
- AssistiveWare’s Adult AAC Users Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/192898234141275/?ref=br_rs
There is also a group called Proloquo2Go Sharing for All that is helpful. Just be aware that it is not an official AssistiveWare group so in order for your post to be seen by their team you will need to post in one of the groups above. https://www.facebook.com/groups/584247741768810/?ref=share
- SayIt! (text-based AAC app) – SayIt! Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/223886172290597/?ref=share
- simPODD – AssistiveWare’s simPODD Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/AssistiveWaresimPODD/
- Speak for Yourself: https://www.facebook.com/groups/273873326092019/?ref=ts&fref=ts
- Talk Suite Pro: https://www.facebook.com/groups/talksuite/?ref=share
- TD Snap (including PODD within that app and all of their other AAC apps and devices) – Tobii Dynavox Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tobiidynavoxcommunity/?fref=ts. There is also a group called TD Snap Core First English that is helpful. Just be aware that this is not an official Tobii Dynavox group so in order for your post to be seen by their team you will need to post in the group above. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2656347127751516/?ref=share
- TouchChat – TouchChat Users Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/touchchatapp/?ref=ts&fref=ts (NovaChat & ChatFusion users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/novachat)
There are also numerous other AAC-related Facebook groups. Some are broad and others are focused on a particular diagnosis. Some are led by parents, some by therapists or teachers and some by AAC users.
Each of those groups also has it’s own culture, rules and vibe.
Tip: When you join any of those groups it’s important to read the “rules” and hang out for a bit before posting or commenting. When you do decide to post or comment be sure to follow any “rules” that group has. Some groups can get a bit intense. Unfortunately there seem to be several “camps” of strong opinions. I choose to scroll on by most of those posts. If a group takes on a very harsh vibe then I either choose to take a break from it or leave it.
If you are an SLP or other professional working with AAC, I definitely suggest joining the AAC for the SLP group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1539830846285663/… FYI… despite the title the group is open to other professionals who have a role in AAC.
Another group that I highly recommend for more general Assistive Technology related questions is the Assistive Technology group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/assistive.technology.group/?ref=share. The amount of knowledge there related to switches, switch access, mounts, and other AT is phenomenal… plus I appreciate that group for generally being “drama free”.
Have questions, found a broken link or want to suggest a group to be added to this list? The best way to reach me is via messaging on the OMazing Kids Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/. That way messages don’t get lost among the spam in my e-mail.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC, OMazing Kids AAC Consulting
Teachers Pay Teachers Store: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Omazing-Kids-Aac-Consulting
OMazing Kids AAC Consulting Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsAAC/
AppPeeps Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OMazingKidsAppPeeps/
GoTalk Now AAC App – Ideas and Sharing Facebook group: https://bit.ly/GoTalkNowAACappGroup