Yoga For Children With Developmental Challenges DVD
Five‐part comprehensive educational video designed to introduce the incredible benefits of a regular yoga practice to individuals with developmental challenges —educational, health, physical, sensory, social, and emotional.
Part 1: Introduction (1:54)
Part 2: Creating the Yogic Environment (2:17)
Part 3: Developing an Awareness of the Breath (12:24)
Part 4: Posture Benefits and Demonstration (31:14) – 18 poses – Sanskrit names for poses are used in conjunction with English.
Part 5: Yoga Class – A balanced practice including centering, warm-ups, breath work, postures and sequences including seated, standing, quadraped, supine, and prone postures as well as inversions, rotations and balances, and concludes with deep relaxation to a guided meditation. A brief group OM & Namaste is included at the end of the class section.(38:00)
The DVD Teacher Edition is specifically designed for classroom and large group practice. This edition includes many additional preparatory exercises and instructions for creatng the yogic environment and developing the breath.
Mary Flynn is a Registered Yoga Teacher as well as a Special Education Teacher with over 30 years of experience teaching children of various ages, levels and degrees of developmental challenges, including autism. She teaches students with special needs at the elementary, middle school and high school levels, as well as the college level (Life Skills Program) and adult programs (Easter Seals of NJ and ARC of NJ). See more about her at: http://www.peacefulpathwaysyoga.com/about-us.html
What I LOVE about this DVD:
- Easy to use menu & navigation will lend itself to more independent use by older kids & teens with special needs.
- Older students with special needs being in the class on the DVD. There are lots of kids yoga DVD’s but not much geared towards older kids, teens or adults with special needs.
- Lots of great info about the benefits for each activity or pose.
- Detailed narration about proper form/alignment at a moderate pace. While the level of narration may be too much for very young children, it is excellent info for the teacher, parent or caregiver who will be helping the child, teen or adult with special needs learn yoga.
- Love the inclusion of centering, call/response chanting, breathwork & guided relaxation in addition to a variety of poses.
- Lots of great detailed info about a variety of breathwork activities! These not only are great for yoga but can also be used in my work as a Speech-Language Pathologist to help improve breath support for speech.
- There are no props, statues or pictures with religious connotations. This is helpful for use in wide variety of settings.
A few screenshots from the DVD:
Other thoughts: While the DVD says “Suitable for All Ages”, based on my experience it would be most appropriate for older kids, teens & adults with special needs since younger kids tend to do best with a playful or storytime yoga approach. Instructions may need to be simplified to suit the individual’s cognitive & processing needs. Teachers, parents or caregivers need to be aware of any medical conditions that would be contraindications for particular types of poses or activities. I am especially cautious about any poses that could hyperextend the neck especially for kids with Down Syndrome due to the risk of them having Atlantoaxial Instability. Inversions are a group of poses I am cautious with. Info about contraindications for inversions: http://ezinearticles.com/?Yoga—Contraindications-For-Inversions&id=2104119.
A preview clips from the DVD:
See several other preview clips at: http://www.youtube.com/user/gardenpartyist
Price at the time of this post: $99.00
Available for purchase: http://www.peacefulpathwaysyoga.com/products-teacher-edition-dvd.html & on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Children-Developmental-Challenges-DVD/dp/B0064VMX54
(FYI: They also have a “Home Edition” DVD. Price: $39.00. Purchase at: http://www.peacefulpathwaysyoga.com/products-home-edition-dvd.html or http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Children-Developmental-Challenges-Edition/dp/B0065S59SO . It is a 3 part DVD and does not contain the “Creating the Yogic Environment” & “Developing an Awareness of the Breath” segments included in the Teacher Edition.)
Check out the Peaceful Pathways Yoga website & “follow” their social media pages for more info:
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids – Contests & Giveaways Facebook page (http://a.pgtb.me/plpbTf) & mention how you would be using this DVD. Details about how you will be using the DVD count and will be used both in selecting the winners & in determining who will get the grand prize. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this DVD. Details about how you will be using the DVD count and will be used both in selecting the winners & in determining who will get the grand prize.If you only enter via blog post comment, you must also send me an e-mail with your mailing address (send to email@example.com. You will not need to do this if you also entered via the Enter Contests Here…. tab on Facebook since your address will be provided on that entry (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Helpful Info & Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save you the step of e-mailing me your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail. FYI…. I use a free app from Shortstack for that tab and have no control over technical difficulties either on their end or on Facebook. In the event that you experience difficulties with the tab you can submit an entry via e-mail providing your full name, e-mail address, mailing address, how you would be using the book. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately Facebook rules prohibit me from accepting entries directly from posts or comments on Facebook.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on October 19, 2012.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA & Canada entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Contests Here…. tab on Facebook or e-mail may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Two (2) winners will be chosen via a drawing of valid entries on October 20, 2012. Details about how you will be using the DVD count and will be used both in selecting the winners & in determining who will get the grand prize.
- The Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) copy of the Teacher Edition of the DVD. The second winner will receive one (1) copy of the Home Edition of the DVD.
- The winners will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- Each winner’s address will be forwarded to the publishing company and they will be mailing the prize directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: Teacher Edition DVD: $99.00, Home Edition DVD: $39.00.
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a yoga DVD but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.