Looking for stories for kids that nurture the mind, the body and the spirit? “Stories that Come Alive through Yoga” by Renee Sherkness is a gem!
“Stories That Come Alive Through Yoga” is a fun, informative, and entertaining, instructional book for children and adults to experience yoga. It was created as a way to express to parents, grandparents, teachers and fitness instructors, or anyone for that matter new or old to yoga, who interacts with children ages 4 to 11 years old, how to share the experience of yoga with their child/children. It is a tool to assist adults to connect with the children they interact with in a fun and healthy way.
There are two ways to use this book:
- Read and discuss the meaning of each of the 4 unique stories (Andy The Ant, Deanna The Dancer, Sammy The Snake & The Three Warriors) with your child.
- Read each story and bring the story to life by becoming characters in the story by doing yoga poses (asanas) & end with the relaxation exercise in Chapter 9.
Here’s what is special about this book:
- Each of the stories was specifically written with the flow of yoga poses (vinyasa) in mind.
- Each story has a message behind it (Andy The Ant – “Respect everyone. We all matter, no matter how big or how small.”; Deanna The Dancer – “Stay focused on what you believe in and always follow your dream”; The Three Warriors – “Take your time to give thought to a situation before acting on it. Being first doesn’t always mean being best; Sammy The Snake – “Get to know the person on the inside. Never judge a book by its cover”)
- The poses are explained before each story. There are no pictures of the poses but the descriptions are detailed and include kid-friendly tips and safety tips.
- The yoga pose names are embedded in each story.
- A guided relaxation story script is included in Chapter 9.
- The author’s love of children & yoga shines through…. She clearly poured her heart into this book. Namaste 🙂
Here is a sneek peek inside the book (images are from the Amazon.com preview):
You’ll have to buy the book to see the rest of the Andy The Ant story 🙂
Here is the Table of Contents:
Paperback book price at the time of this post: $17.95
Available online at:
- Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Stories-that-Come-Alive-Through/dp/1461150582/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308342002&sr=8-2 ; Kindle edition – $9.99)
- Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stories-that-come-alive-through-yoga-renee-sherkness/1102996160?ean=9781461150589; NOOK book $9.99)
- Create Space (https://www.createspace.com/3607286)
- Wholesale pricing info: http://reneesherkness.webs.com/wholesalepricing.htm
Author’s website: http://reneesherkness.webs.com/books.htm
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the book giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids Yoga FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save me the step of having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on December 31, 2011.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC or the book’s author are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- One (1) winner will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on January 1. 2012.
- The winner will get one (1) copy of the paperback book “Stories That Come Alive Through Yoga”.
- The winner will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- If the winner only entered via blog post, their mailing address will be obtained via e-mail.
- In the event that the winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the author & she will be shipping the book directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: retail price $17.95.
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids yoga book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in Norman, Oklahoma
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.