Looking for a fun new book to use in your kids yoga or kids movement classes? Or a great book with simple predictable text and repeated lines to use in your reading program or speech-language therapy sessions? Then march on over to check out “Jungle Story” by My First Yoga®!
This My First Yoga® book leads children on an interactive adventure through the jungle in search of a monkey. Child friendly vocabulary and vibrant illustrations provide a series of easy to follow yoga poses that bring this Jungle Story into motion! Learn to become a hissing snake, a hiding turtle, a roaring lion, a balancing flamingo, a strong elephant & a tall giraffe as you search on a hike through a jungle for the monkey.
Here is why I LOVE this book:
- The clear 3-step directions for each animal pose are included on that page in the story.
- The vibrant color pose pictures really stand out against the distraction free white background. This will help kids with special needs (ADHD, Autism, Visual Impairment, etc…) and young children be able to attend to the important information in each picture.
- I love the sitting down version of “marching”. This is an adaptation that will help kids with special needs or younger children who may not have the balance or coordination to do a standing “hiking-in-place” motion. For older kids or those that would enjoy more of a challenge, you could start out with the sitting “march” and work your way to a standing “hiking-in-place” motion or even a Brain Gym “Cross Crawl Hike”.
- Great opportunities to answer the “yes/no” question, “Is this a monkey? No, this is a ________” throughout the book as you find each animal along the way. I made a picture card of the monkey to hold up so the kids I work with could see the picture in the book compared to the picture of the monkey.
- Great use of repeated lines “Is this a monkey”and “March March March”. Repeated lines in stories are a great way to promote emergent literacy skills & to provide opportunities for children to participate by “reading” part of the story (either verbally or through the use of a voice output communication aide like a BigMack). Here is a link to an article about using “Repetitive Books: An Effective Therapeutic Strategy for Children Diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech” by Michelle Solomon, M.A., CCC-SLP and Lavinia Pereira, M.A., CCC-SLP (http://tinyurl.com/88ltzo4). PDF version: Repetitive Books – An Effective Therapeutic Strategy for Children Diagnosed with Apraxia of Speech
- Cool opportunities for sequencing and repeated vocabulary exposure as each animal is added to the “March March March” page as they are found along the way.
Here is a “sneek peek” inside the book:
Here is a fun printable My First Yoga® lion coloring page. Click on the picture to open a 1-page printable PDF:
Available for purchase in Paperback & Kindle Edition on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Jungle-Story-Abbie-Davies/dp/0982655916/ref=tmm_pap_title_0.
Also available in Paperback & Nook Book on Barnes & Noble: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Jungle-Story/Abbie-Davies/e/9780982655917?r=1&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Jungle%20Story-_-9780982655917
My First Yoga website: http://www.myfirstyoga.com/ and Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/myfirstyoga
Additional fun things to go with a “Jungle” theme:
Looking for some great “jungle” music to go with the theme?
Music And Instructions For Jungle & Zoo Yoga Adventures by Helen Purperhart (instrumental music): http://www.amazon.com/Music-Instructions-Jungle-Yoga-Adventures/dp/B003YBLTL6
And what kids yoga class would be complete without a craft or coloring?
Lion mask: http://www.firstpalette.com/tool_box/printables/lionmask.html; http://www.firstpalette.com/tool_box/printables/lionmask.pdf
Monkey mask: http://www.firstpalette.com/tool_box/printables/monkeymask.html; http://www.firstpalette.com/tool_box/printables/monkeymask.pdf
Elephant mask: http://www.animaljr.com/printable-animal-masks-elephant-mask/
Turtle paper craft: http://www.denisefleming.com/pages/activitiesb/timetosleepturtle.html; http://www.denisefleming.com/pages/activitiesbpdfs/timetosleepturtle.pdf
Snake bracelet printable: http://daniellesplace.com/imagesA/snakebracletpat.gif or make a paper plate snake: http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf676654.tip.html
Giraffe paper bag puppet: http://www.teachervision.fen.com/tv/printables/TCR/1557342504_48-49.pdf
Flamingo learning activity ideas: http://mamabeefromthehive.blogspot.com/2011/11/ff-flamingos-preschool-style.html
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this book to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the “Jungle Story” by My First Yoga® giveaway:
- Leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- For one additional entry, enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids Yoga FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with (posts must be in English; 1 entry per Facebook account).
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on December 3, 2011.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- International entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway 🙂
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC or My First Yoga are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Two (2) winners will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on December 4, 2011.
- Each winner will get one (1) copy of the paperback book “Jungle Story” by My First Yoga.
- The winners will be notified via e-mail.
- In the event that a winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s mailing address will be obtained via e-mail and will be forwarded to My First Yoga.
- My First Yoga will be shipping the book directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: retail price $12.95.
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids yoga book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in Norman, Oklahoma
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the blue divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.