Product Description: Body Songs & Stories™ was created by Stephanie Gottlob & Yuji Oka to help children with special needs including Autism, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD, Down Syndrome & other developmental delays or emotional challenges. Using easy-to-learn video instructions, parents, caregivers, teachers & therapists can learn how to perform different hand textures to accompany each body songs. It is designed to foster emotional & physical communication between children & their caregivers. There are 5 original Body Songs on the Vol. 1 DVD.
This DVD features Welcome & Intro sections with fabulous info about setting up a positive environment & safety tips. There are 5 Body Songs included in both “Practice Mode” (the music & lyrics in karaoke style) & “Experiential Mode” (videos of Stephanie demonstrating doing each Body Song and the touch movements on kids while singing the songs).
- 1-2-3 Song
- Zoo Song
- Seasons Song
- Birthday Song
- Up In The Hill Song
The 14-page DVD Booklet features:
- Authors’ Note
- Getting Started
- Descriptions of the 6 hand textures movements (tapping, pounding, deep pressure, brushing, rocking & scratching)
- Do’s and Don’t’s
- Learning Body Songs
- How to Use the DVD
- When to Use Body Songs
Here’s what I love about the DVD:
- Stephanie & Yuji’s passion for helping kids with special needs shines through! Even though I’ve never met them in person, I feel a connection with these kindred spirits. This DVD is definitely being added to my short list of “must have” faves for folks wanting to do adapted yoga / adapted movement with kids with special needs. They have more products in the works which I can’t wait to see!
- The DVD is presented in a very easy to understand format.
- The Body Songs & hand texture movements are easy to learn. These techniques will be great to incorporate into my OMazing Kids yoga classes & my work as a Speech-Language Pathologist!
- The DVD booklet & intro section of the DVD provide info for creative use of each hand texture movement (ex: “deep press” to simulate elephants, stones or other heavy objects)
- They provide very clear info about being sensitive to each child’s unique sensory needs and the sensory aspects of each hand texture movement.
- They provide clear info about setting up a positive environment & safety precautions before getting started.
- They encourage you to practice on another adult & have an adult practice on you before trying it out with kids. “The quality of your touch conveys the image of the song”.
- While the DVD is designed for kids ages 2-9 years old, from my experience it would also be appropriate with older kids who are functioning at a lower developmental level.
- The “Meet the Parents & Kids Like You” section is powerful! Hear stories from four parents about how using these techniques impacted their child’s motor planning, body awareness, self awareness, confidence, social skills, connections to siblings (& even pets), relaxation & more.
See a preview on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kdf6L8zA0
Purchase: Available on the company’s website: http://movementforkidswithspecialneeds.org/home/teaching-aids/. Also available on the Playtime Yoga website: http://www.playtimeyoga.com/bodysongsstories.html (** Note: they have an intro price sale on it through 12:00am PDT on July 6, 2013).
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.Starting in 2013, a new component of reviews & giveaways hosted on OMazing Kids is that a review will be added on Amazon.com (for products sold on that site). See my Amazon profile at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1JKVLELLSX7FD?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_aya_bb_pdp.
How to enter the A Way to Give – Giveaway:
- Required Entry Method: Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids – Contests & Giveaways Facebook page (http://a.pgtb.me/plpbTf) & mention why this DVD would be helpful to you. Also nominate a friend, relative, teacher, therapist, school, clinic, library, etc… it can be any individual (other than yourself) or setting that you feel could benefit from having the DVD & tell us why they would benefit from having it (details will count in selecting the winner). Only entries that include a nomination will be valid…. so take the time to think of someone besides yourself who would benefit from having this. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; must use respectful people-first language, 1 entry per person).
- Bonus Entry Options:
- Invite some friends to “like” the OMazing Kids Facebook page (comment here on this blog post to let me know you did)
- Share this review on Facebook & include a @OMazing Kids to tag my page – (comment here on this blog post to let me know you did)
- Helpful Info & Tips: I use the “Giveaways” tab because it saves me the step having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail. FYI…. I use a free app from Shortstack for that tab and have no control over technical difficulties either on their end or on Facebook. The Facebook tab may not work on a cell phone. If you experience that, try again on a computer. Make sure you are logged in as yourself (not a page) when using the tab. In the event that you experience difficulties with the FB entry tab, please e-mail me specific details so I can attempt to fix it. E-mail to: email@example.com . The entry deadline may be extended at the sole discretion of OMazing Kids in the event of prolonged entry tab problems
- Each “giveaway” is handled separately on OMazing Kids. So there are no rules prohibiting previous winners from entering this or future giveaways. I really do read every entry in every giveaway carefully to insure that the products end up in the best hands to impact kids lives.
- Examples of “people-first” language are “children with autism” vs. “autistic children”and “children with disabilities” vs. “disabled children” (see more examples at: http://www.inclusionproject.org/nip_userfiles/file/People%20First%20Chart.pdf)
Entry Deadline: 11:59pm CST on June 26, 2013.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- International entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- The winner will be chosen from valid entries on June 27, 2013.
The winner & the person/place they nominate will each receive 1 copy of the DVD.
(I know this is a bit out-of-the box & different than most typical giveaways where the person who enters wins all the “stuff”. This is the new “A Way To Give” portion of giveaways on OMazing Kids. I was inspired to make giveaways more meaningful after this experience. Think of it as a way to plant some seeds.)
- The winners will be notified via e-mail, will be posted on the blog post & will be posted on the OMazing Kids Facebook page. The company offering the prize may also post the winner’s name on their website, blog, Facebook page and/or other social media sites at their discretion.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the company and they will be mailing the prizes directly to the winners. Any questions about the prize should be directed to the company.
- Prize Value: $18.00 for each DVD
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a DVD but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
Boardmaker Share: http://www.boardmakershare.com/Community/FriendsProfile/10916/Angela-Moorad
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to the winner: Jennie Choi, a special ed preschool teacher & the “A Way to Give” winner nominated by Jennie: Charnette Howard, a parent of two boys with ASD. Here is her winning entry:
“I currently teach preschoolers (ages 2-5) with various special needs at a public school in Richmond, VA. I am working on developing a school wide yoga program through a nonprofit organization called YoKid, based in Northern VA. My dream is to teach yoga to pre-K through 5th grade students, giving them access to all of its benefits. I believe that yoga not only transforms us as individuals but also collectively as a whole society, and therefore, we can create a positive change in our cultural consciousness by practicing yoga! What is most important to me is ensuring that *every* child is able to participate in yoga, regardless of what challenges they may be facing, and in particular those with special needs. For me, music and movement are so critical with teaching children, and I would LOVE to have this resource in my toolbox! Thank you so much for this giveaway and I truly appreciate your consideration. Nominee: Charnette Howard
is a friend of mine who has two boys on the autism spectrum, who both attend my
school. I think she and her boys would benefit from having this as well :)”
All the entries were heart felt & a joy to read:
* I have been working with kids with special needs for over 15 years now and am aware how therapeutic touch from a caring adult can be. Not only do many of the children with whom I work crave deep pressure in order to cope with other uncomfortable sensations during the day, but I think all children to some degree are calmed and grounded by mindful touch. I love the idea of having new ideas of ways to incorporate therapeutic touch both into my treatment with my pediatric clients but also to be able to give parents new ways to interact therapeutically with their children. In the busy-ness of today, it seems many of the families with whom I work are on such a hopping schedule that “touch” is likely largely fleeting and related to basic daily needs being met: cleaning, dressing, helping move from one place to another. How nice it would be for parent and child to have some dedicated time for touch dedicated primarily to the child’s other sensory and regulatory needs.
* I teach special education preschool/pre-k. Many of the children and parents I work with are just learning about special needs and the therapies that may help their child. I
want their first steps into this realm to be positive as well as helpful. I feel that
this resource could be used in such a way.I also have a three year old niece who has sensory needs who would benefit from the songs.Both at home and home, I believe movement and songs can help children to develop positive sense of awareness with themselves and their bodies in space.
* I teach at a school for children with learning disabilities. I would use this DVD in my
everyday teaching as part of my movement program. My children have done some yoga based work in the past and they really respond to it. I think this DVD would be more then beneficial for this upcoming school year.
* I am a yoga teacher for children with special needs of all kinds – mental, emotional,
cognitive, physical – ages 3 and up. The greatest population that I serve is somewhere
on the Autistic Spectrum – a sensory processing disorder in which most have trouble
establishing awareness of themselves. I would love to bring in these levels of
communication for social benefits and understanding of ourselves while enjoying movement. I also am a horse-assisted therapist for individual’s with special needs – ages 18 months and up! I can’t think of a greater tool to share with both populations as we all grow, breathe, move, heal, laugh, and feel! Thank you! http://www.facebook.com/Storybook.Adventures
* It is possible that I will be teaching yoga to children this August at a children’s
summer camp at New Wave Self Defense. I believe this will be many of the children’s
first experience with yoga, so it would be wonderful to have these songs to enhance the program
Thanks to everyone who participated! Be watching for another fun review & giveaway on OMazing Kids soon 🙂