Lazy Lizards Kids Yoga Mats
– Made out of eco-friendly TPE (Thermal Plastic Elastomer) material
– 12 poses printed on the mat so kids can follow along easily on the smooth printed surface, or turn around to use the other color blank grippy side
– Lightweight, easy for children to carry
– Closed cell construction, to keep out liquids and bacteria
– Anti slip grip with a soft touch
– 4 mm thick, for just the right cushion
– Kids sized, 24″w x 48″L
– Rounded corners
A brief description of each pose and a photo of a child doing the pose is available on their website: http://www.lazylizardsyoga.com/poses.html
Lazy Lizards Yoga for Kids DVD
Run Time: 40 minutes. Ages: 3 years +. Led by creator and instructor Hannah Smith, Lazy Lizards Yoga for Kids will encourage your child to participate in a healthy activity while having fun. Yoga not only strengthens the body but also develops body awareness, self-esteem and calms the mind. Follow along pretending to be animals, balloons, a slice of pizza and so much more. This easy to follow routine can be done individually, with a group or as a family activity. 30 minute program with an opportunity to take a break or stop after 20 minutes. Bonus extras with songs and games.
List Price: $44.95 for the yoga mat & DVD combo (mat: $32.00, DVD: $17.95)
Where to Purchase: http://www.lazylizardsyoga.com/Shop.html, DVD on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Lazy-Lizards-Yoga-KIDS-Childrens/dp/B000SRH2GA
Here’s what I liked about these products:
- I tried out the purple mat in my therapeutic OMazing Kids yoga group at the JD McCarty Center for Children with Developmental Disabilities. Since I only had one of the mats and a group of 4 young boys, I used the mat as a special surprise towards the end of the group. Each child got to take turns getting on the mat, pointing to one of the pose pics and then we all did that pose. This worked GREAT for this group of young boys who had varying disabilities, communication challenges & some behavior issues. The mat provided a way for them to communicate a choice without the risk of yoga cards being damaged (if you work with kids with special needs or behavior challenges you have probably experienced the loss of precious yoga cards). One of the young boys was having a particularly rough day and using the Lazy Lizards mat was the best part of the class for him. He giggled & smiled as we all became “frogs” after he pointed to that pic on the mat.
- I like that the mat is eco-friendly, closed cell construction, has rounded corners & is thick enough to provide a little extra cushion.
- I like that the pics on the mat are large and that there are only 12 poses on the mat. When a couple of the young boys in our class were unable to make a choice out of a field of 12, I gave them a choice of 2 poses that were next to each other on the mat.
- It’s nice to be able to turn the mat over to a plain solid side for kids who might be overwhelmed by the visual stimulation of all the pose pics. Or those who might take it literally that they can only do those poses or do those poses in that order on the mat (you will be able to relate to this if you work with kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders or other special needs).
- I liked the playful nature of the DVD and that it showed a realistic depiction of what a yoga class for young kids looks like. Kids were allowed to participate & enjoy the class at their level. While the DVD is marketed for ages 3+, based on my experience I would suggest that it would be most appealing to young kids (ages 3-7). My favorite parts of the DVD were the seed-to-flower & making a slice of pizza sequences.
Other thoughts: While the music in the background of the DVD was usually pleasant, at times it made it difficult to hear the yoga instructor. This also could be overstimulating or make it difficult for kids with Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism, Central Auditory Processing problems or other special needs. Two of the poses may be a little confusing to kids who some experience with yoga: tree (is really more like mountain with arms lifted) & flamingo (is what tree pose traditionally looks like).
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own. Starting in 2013, a new component of reviews & giveaways hosted on OMazing Kids is that a review will be added on Amazon.com (for products sold on that site). See my Amazon profile at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A1JKVLELLSX7FD?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_aya_bb_pdp.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids – Contests & Giveaways Facebook page (http://a.pgtb.me/plpbTf) & mention how you would be using this yoga mat & DVD. Also must indicate color choice of mat: green, purple or pink. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; must use respectful people-first language, 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this yoga mat & DVD. Also must indicate color choice of mat: green, purple or pink. If you only enter via blog post comment, you must also send me an e-mail with your mailing address (send to email@example.com). You will not need to do this if you also entered via the Enter Contests Here…. tab on Facebook since your address will be provided on that entry (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must use respectful people-first language, must have a valid e-mail address)
- Helpful Info & Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save you the step of e-mailing me your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail. FYI…. I use a free app from Shortstack for that tab and have no control over technical difficulties either on their end or on Facebook.
- In the event that you experience difficulties with the tab or in leaving a blog post comment, you can submit an entry via e-mail providing ALL of the following information: your full name, e-mail address, mailing address, how you would be using this yoga mat & DVD. Also must indicate color choice of mat: green, purple or pink. Please copy and paste the title of this blog post into the subject line of the e-mail to insure that I see it. Please also include info about any problems you encountered trying to enter via blog post comment or the Facebook tab. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Examples of “people-first” language are “children with autism” vs. “autistic children”and “children with disabilities” vs. “disabled children” (see more examples at: http://www.inclusionproject.org/nip_userfiles/file/People%20First%20Chart.pdf)
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on February 12, 2013.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook or e-mail may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Four (4) winners will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on February 13, 2013.
- The winners will each receive one (1) Lazy Lizards yoga mat in the color of their choice (colors limited to: green, purple or pink) & one (1) copy of the DVD.
- The winner will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the company and they will be mailing the prize directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: $44.95 for the yoga mat & DVD combo
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids yoga mat & DVD but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.