Check out the fun, energetic & interactive music from the Swingset Mamas!
I first fell in love with the Swingset Mamas’ music when I found the song “Colors of the Rainbow” last year as I was looking for a song to encourage kids to try healthy foods in my work as a Speech-Language Pathologist. Love the calypso beat of that song and it is my fave on their 1st CD.
Then when I heard their song “Take a Walk in Someone Else’s Shoes” and heard the story behind the song I was totally hooked!
Watch the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ3LnuQ-nE0
I love that Lizzie Swan and Marlowe Bechmann, the Swingset Mamas, have a strong commitment to using music as a way to spread the message of inclusion and acceptance of differences for all children and adults of all abilities. Their song “Take A Walk In Someone Else’s Shoes” was inspired by Marlowe’s family and their journey with Autism.
As the mother of a child with autism, Marlowe values and utilizes music to communicate with her daughter. See this page on their website for tips on making music with your family, Autism Awareness and more: http://www.swingsetmamas.com/wordpress/?page_id=26
Transitions and daily routines are often a challenge for parents of kids with special abilities. Try Downloading “Dressed” (free), and turn your morning dressing routine from a power struggle into a game! Or put on “Buckle Up” (also free) for an easy way to get the kids loaded up into the car.
I received free copies of their 2nd CD “Dance Around the House” and 3rd CD “Mamamorphosis” to try out with the kids I work with both as a SLP & in OMazing Kids. I love their unique music that has a strong beat but is not too fast or overstimulating. Here are my favorite tracks on each CD:
Dance Around the House: My favorite tracks are:
- Knock Knock Blues – would be fun to use in introductions in any kids group activity, including social skill groups, kids yoga groups, etc….
- Sunscreen Dance – will be fun to use in my summer beach-themed groups & would help any parent who has a battle getting their child to wear sunscreen. Check out this fun printable to go with the song: http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_kids/swingset-mamas-sun-printable.gif
- Dressed – any parent who has a battle with their child getting dressed has to hear this song…. Getting dressed to this song would be FUN!
- Dance Around the House – fun to use during any movement activity, including yoga freeze dance.
- Books – would be fun to use as a transition song for storytime or going to the library.
- Buckle Up – ever had a battle getting your kids to wear their seatbelt? This song will make that fun too.
- Bugs – LOVE this song & can’t wait to use this the next time I do a bug-themed yoga class! See the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E0X5-vi1WM
- Rain & Thunder (two separate tracks) – We are planning a free event around the book “Rain Talk” for Better Hearing & Speech Month at the JD McCarty Center and these will be perfect to use! Would also be cool to use as a way to desensitize kids who are frightened of rain & thunder.
- 5 More Minutes & See Ya Later Alligator (two separate tracks) – would work great to help in transitions when it’s time to wrap up an activity and get ready to go. See the See Ya Later Alligator video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbeYhYPRpqc
- Hear mp3 samples at: http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Around-the-House/dp/B0012KRG9A/ref=tmm_msc_title_0#mp3TrackPlayer
Mamamorphosis: My favorite tracks are:
- Love Makes A Family – Love the lyrics about movement, affirmation & acceptance of differences and beat of this song!
- Dancing Pants – fun to use during any movement activity, including yoga freeze dance.
- Great to Be Me – awesome affirmation song.
- Water Safety Rules – fun way to teach water safety this summer. Many kids with special needs are attracted to water so it is imperative that we teach ALL kids about water safety.
- Ralph and Rosie (Metamorphosis) – it would be fun to do a whole frog & butterfly metamorphosis themed kids yoga class around this song 🙂
- If I Became President – LOVE the message of peace & taking care of our planet in this song. See the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRtUFQ7hIyM
- Time & Counting (two separate tracks) – adding music to concepts that can be challenging to learn.
- Off Center – does a great job of describing what it might feel like if you had sensory processing difficulties.
- Take A Walk In Someone Else’s Shoes – An AWESOME song with a wonderful message of inclusion & acceptance!
- Hear mp3 samples at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MY3X4K/ref=dm_att_alb1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335640836&sr=8-3-ent#mp3TrackPlayer
Available for purchase at: http://www.swingsetmamas.com/wordpress/?page_id=89 – website includes direct links to downloads on iTunes, Amazon & CD Baby.
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how you would be using the music with your child or the children you work with AND which CD you want if you win. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using the music with your child or the children you work with AND which CD you want if you win. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save me the step of having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on April 30, 2012.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Two (2) winners will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on May 1, 2012.
- Each winner will be sent one (1) copy of the CD they selected in their entry.
- The winners will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- If a winner only entered via blog post, their mailing address will be obtained via e-mail.
- In the event that a winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the company and they will be mailing the CD directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: retail price up to $14.00 depending on the CD selected
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just kids music CD’s but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.