Love is the Color of a Rainbow – a wonderful heartfelt story!
Product description: This softcover book is a heartfelt story about Willow, a little girl who has been blind since birth, who hears pit-pats of the first summer rain and quickly encourages her Mama to go outside. Mama shares all the colors of a rainbow with Willow through nature and Willow experiences that “Love is the Color of a Rainbow”. The gentle pastel chalk illustrations invite kids to experience nature through their senses to discover the colors of the rainbow.
Here’s what I LOVE about this book:
- positive portrayal of a child with special needs
- beautiful illustrations
- the nurturing relationship portrayed between the mother & daughter in the story
- the book has several opportunities to incorporate yoga poses (raindrop tapping – either individually on own chest or as partner pose on each others backs – note: great opportunity for kids to work on social skills to ask each other to be partners, ask permission before touching, ask their partner if they want “rain” pats (more of a slow deep pressure) or light “tickle taps” on their back – be mindful of kids individual sensory needs, frog, snail – child’s pose, tree, bird, tomatoes – stretch & reach overhead to “pick”, flower, butterfly, sun – sun stretch & breath – for details & a sun printable see my previous post at: http://wp.me/p1t7TU-1T, blue sky – lay in star pose, hug – hug knees into chest)
- the book is printed on eco-friendly 100% Post Consumer recycled paper
- the author donates a portion of the sales to support nature & environmental organizations
The only improvement I would suggest for the book would for the text to be in a larger font to make it easier to read.
A sneek peek at a few pages inside the book:
Price at the time of this post: $12.00 – available for purchase on the author’s website: http://www.kathyparra.com/
Author’s Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ByKathyParra
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
Other things to go with a Rainbow theme:
Fun rainbow kids yoga ideas in this blog post from Mary Keiger at AUsomely Social: A Mindful Journey Over the Rainbow
A Rainbow of Colors kids yoga ideas in this blog post from Be Yoga Be Love: A Rainbow of Colors
Great Kira Willey songs:
Relaxing Rainbow – guided relaxation script card – (inspired by a post on www.childmeditations.com)
Click on picture above to open the PDF, print, cut out, fold in half & laminate. Show picture side to the kids so they can get an image in their mind of what a rainbow looks like before laying down. The adult then reads the relaxation script in a slow calming manner with frequent pauses.
A great rainbow – namebow affirmation craft (from A Cupcake for the Teacher) – click on the picture to go to the blog:
Cute rainbow shakers to make(from Activity Village – click on picture to go to website):
Craft – Make a Rainbow Shaker (from Making Learning Fun) – click on the picture to go to their website
Another simple rainbow craft idea! This would be a great way to work on colors, short-longer-longest & sequencing by size:
Rainbow Coloring Pages (4 page PDF) – click on picture to open
Encourage healthy habits by “eating the colors of the rainbow”: http://www.celebratehealthyeating.org/pdf/spr/dan_eatrainbow.pdf
My Favorite Color Guided Relaxation from Yoga in My School: http://yogainmyschool.com/2010/06/15/my-favourite-colour-a-guided-visualization-for-relaxation/
Rainbow Guided relaxations for kids mp3’s: http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Friend-Meditation/dp/B003MRGGT2, http://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Blanket/dp/B001NW77UU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1329153092&sr=1-9
R. Carlos Nakai – World Of Rainbows (Canyon Trilogy Track 11) –http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaM__sGVJuY, on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QMW4RY/ref=dm_dp_trk11?ie=UTF8&qid=1329153030&sr=1-25
Piano instrumental version of Over the Rainbow: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012JT3DS/ref=dm_dp_trk7?ie=UTF8&qid=1329153092&sr=1-11
One of my favorite songs is “Underneath the Rainbow” by Kira Willey: https://soundcloud.com/kira-willey-music/underneath-the-rainbow
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids Yoga FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention your favorite color & how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention your favorite color & how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save me the step of having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on February 14, 2012.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- International entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Two (2) winners will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on February 15, 2012.
- The winners will each get one (1) copy of the “Love is the Color of a Rainbow” book.
- The winners will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- If a winner only entered via blog post, their mailing address will be obtained via e-mail.
- In the event that a winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the company and they will be mailing the product directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: retail price $12.00
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in Norman, Oklahoma
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.