Looking for stories for kids that nurture the mind, the body and the spirit? “Stories that Come Alive through Yoga” by Renee Sherkness is a gem!
“Stories That Come Alive Through Yoga” is a fun, informative, and entertaining, instructional book for children and adults to experience yoga. It was created as a way to express to parents, grandparents, teachers and fitness instructors, or anyone for that matter new or old to yoga, who interacts with children ages 4 to 11 years old, how to share the experience of yoga with their child/children. It is a tool to assist adults to connect with the children they interact with in a fun and healthy way.
There are two ways to use this book:
- Read and discuss the meaning of each of the 4 unique stories (Andy The Ant, Deanna The Dancer, Sammy The Snake & The Three Warriors) with your child.
- Read each story and bring the story to life by becoming characters in the story by doing yoga poses (asanas) & end with the relaxation exercise in Chapter 9.
Here’s what is special about this book:
- Each of the stories was specifically written with the flow of yoga poses (vinyasa) in mind.
- Each story has a message behind it (Andy The Ant – “Respect everyone. We all matter, no matter how big or how small.”; Deanna The Dancer – “Stay focused on what you believe in and always follow your dream”; The Three Warriors – “Take your time to give thought to a situation before acting on it. Being first doesn’t always mean being best; Sammy The Snake – “Get to know the person on the inside. Never judge a book by its cover”)
- The poses are explained before each story. There are no pictures of the poses but the descriptions are detailed and include kid-friendly tips and safety tips.
- The yoga pose names are embedded in each story.
- A guided relaxation story script is included in Chapter 9.
- The author’s love of children & yoga shines through…. She clearly poured her heart into this book. Namaste 🙂
Here is a sneek peek inside the book (images are from the Amazon.com preview):
You’ll have to buy the book to see the rest of the Andy The Ant story 🙂
Here is the Table of Contents:
Paperback book price at the time of this post: $17.95
Available online at:
- Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Stories-that-Come-Alive-Through/dp/1461150582/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1308342002&sr=8-2 ; Kindle edition – $9.99)
- Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/stories-that-come-alive-through-yoga-renee-sherkness/1102996160?ean=9781461150589; NOOK book $9.99)
- Create Space (https://www.createspace.com/3607286)
- Wholesale pricing info: http://reneesherkness.webs.com/wholesalepricing.htm
Author’s website: http://reneesherkness.webs.com/books.htm
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the book giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids Yoga FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this book with your child or the children you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save me the step of having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on December 31, 2011.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC or the book’s author are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- One (1) winner will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on January 1. 2012.
- The winner will get one (1) copy of the paperback book “Stories That Come Alive Through Yoga”.
- The winner will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- If the winner only entered via blog post, their mailing address will be obtained via e-mail.
- In the event that the winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the author & she will be shipping the book directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: retail price $17.95.
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids yoga book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in Norman, Oklahoma
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.
I would use this book with my son when we do our morning stretches. Sounds like fun!
This giveaway is now closed……Congratulations to Debbie Logan for winning the copy of this great book! I have e-mailed your address to the author, Renee, to mail you the book.
Thanks to everyone who participated in this giveaway! Be looking for another fun review & giveaway on OMazing Kids Yoga in a few days 🙂
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Here are the comments from the entries received via the Enter Giveaways Here tab on the OMazing Kids Yoga Facebook page.
1. I am a dance educator in an elementary school in Brooklyn NY. I am always looking for new ways to incorporate movement and literacy, especially with my prek, kindergarten and 1st grade students. Getting them to move thier bodies in new ways and tie what we’re doing to the common core standards is always a challenge.
2. I am working with my studio to get a kids yoga class going, this would help out with some lessons to start the ball rolling!
3. Hi Angela! I teach yoga at four preschools and a library. I’ve experimented lately with storytelling and yoga, and we’ve had fun with a whale story, a bird story, and a snow adventure. I also use books, but the flow of the story is affected by the kids wanting to see the illustrations, and the disjointed feel of the poses. What I really want to learn is how to create sequences and flow that move along with a story or visualization. I would love to really understand the art of storytelling through yoga, and I think this book would break that down for me (plus give me four more stories for my toolbox). I wish I could just buy every book I see, every prop, every tool, or every CD. Financially, I just can’t. To receive this book in a giveaway would be a wonderful gift! Namaste, Debbie
4. I would love to use this book in my childrens’ yoga classes! It looks great! thanks for sharing how you use it in your blog. Namaste ❤
5. I use yoga in my classroom and this book would be a great resource.
6. I have a 7 year old daughter who loves to practice yoga with me when I do my home practice and I know she would love this book. I made a commitment to daily practice which began on May 7th and continues to this date. Also, in November, I became a Certified Childlight Yoga Instructor and have numerous Kids Yoga workshops planned for the new year. I would DEFINITELY be using this book during the workshops. I really, really hope I win. Thank you so much for considering me.
7. I will use this book with my 2 children! We love yoga and store and use them together all the time! I will also use some of these in the music classes I teach where I use yoga/stories at the beginning and end of some classes.
8. I am beginning a kids yoga program at a brand new studio. We have a few trickling in. And some very unique ones with special needs. The autistic community especially would benefit from this book – they understand stories and are especially wonderful story tellers themselves. Thank you! Namaste.
9. This book will be great with my classroom. My kids love storytelling and feeling part of the stories they read and this will be a great way to use yoga and their love for stories together.
10. I teach kids from 2-82 and would love to teach w/ this book.
11. As a classroom teacher, I continue to look for ways to interest my students in yoga. I feel it can benefit them in so many ways, and I would like professional resources to accompany my instruction.
12. I teach children from ages 3 to 18; 5 days a week. I am always looking for new ways to bring stories into my classes. This would be great to incorporate new things into my class plans for the new year.
13. Would love to use it to share yoga with my daughter.
14. I would love to use your book with the children I teach – preschoolers as well as kindergarten and first grades.
15. Since my child was 3 we were introduced to Waldorf Education and Story telling that is so magical that i just fell in love with and love creating story to tell to my son and to my students. I would enjoy more stories and resources, especially that are yoga related!
16. I live in the George Washington National Forest in rural West Virginia..a small valley named Lost River.The populations i am working with are very unique..much older ~83 is my oldest student~ and i have just started in a local Head Start ..with 38 3-6 year olds!! At the end of my class i LOVe to share inspirational writings….and there you have it! Namaste and Happy New Year!<3
17. Would love to use these in our yoga storytime get togethers with kiddos with special needs and their families. We also enjoy using books as a visual aid to keep kids attention, and as a meaningful tie in to the movement. Thanks so much for all the great ideas you share on your website and on facebook. This world needs MORE YOGA, and the kids are a great place to start!
18. Use this with my child, and see what age groups I could do this with, for groups of kiddos.
Hmmm, this looks interesting. I’d first off, use this with Grace, and then see how I could use this book in teaching yoga to kiddos. Might work better with different age groups. I love using books to help facilitate teaching yoga.
Oh, I found a new book to use for yoga for kids. It is called, “S is for snowman”. Winter/Christian themed book. Very nice graphics and such.
Good Luck Gail in the contest. Hope the book: Stories That Come Alive Through Yoga is something you enjoy!
Since my child was 3 we were introduced to Waldorf Education and Story telling that is so magical that i just fell in love with and love creating story to tell to my son and to my students. I would enjoy more stories and resources, especially that are yoga related! Thank you
Thank you Sishel for your kind words. Good luck in the contest. I took a look at your site/program of yoga with kids and love what you do. I emailed you(hope it was the correct site) with some further information on my book/books for your interest. Look forward to talking further. And again thank you for all you do to spread healthy awareness and the benefits of yoga to our youth .. The world is a better place for it!!
My little sister is a childrens librarian and I am a kids (& big kids) yoga instructor and equine therapist for kiddos with disabilities. I would love to combine health, healing, happiness, hoof beats and inspired stories into one with my sister. This book would be a great place to start!!!!!
Good luck Rita in the contest: Id love to talk further about adding my book/books to your program..
check out my website http://reneesherkness.webs.com/ for more information or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
I really would love to win this book. In November, I became a Certified Childlight Yoga Instructor. I have numerous Kids Yoga workshops planned for the new year and this book would be an asset. I would definitely utilize it during these workshops. Plus, I have a 7 year old daughter who loves to practice with me during my home practice. I know she would love this book also. Thank you for considering me.
Good luck Dina in the contest. It sounds like my book Stories That Come Alive Through Yoga would dovetail perfectly with your yoga practices: Id love to talk further about adding my book/books to your program.. Thank you for all you do to spread healthy awareness to our youth!!
check out my website http://reneesherkness.webs.com/ for more information or email me at email@example.com to talk further
Congrats to Renee, the author! She is one of our Certified ChildLight Yoga Instructors and it brings so much joy to see such amazing work from those who have completed our training programs!
I would love a copy of this book to use in our classes and with my own children. I’d love to do a review for our blog, The Kids’ Yoga Resource (www.thekidsyogaresource.com) and potentially also carry them in our online and physical boutiques where we carry all of our favorite kids’ yoga products.
Thanks Lisa for your kind words. Id be honored to have my book offered in your online/physical boutique. I emailed you to talk further. So glad our paths crossed again!!
I would love to use this book in my childrens yoga classes! I especially like that it was written for children to do yoga.
Good luck Margaret in the contest and thank you for all you do to spread healthy awareness to our youth about the benefits of yoga. Please check out my website: http://reneesherkness.webs.com/
for more information and testimonials on my book/books or if they may be of interest to you or your students.
This looks like a great book! Just yesterday, I posted a question on FB about storytelling and kids’ yoga – what a coincidence to learn about this great new book today! I currently teach kids’ yoga at 4 preschools and the local library. Using a story is a wonderful way to capture the kids’ attention. However, sometimes I struggle with the flow. I would love to find more ways to sequence the poses logically while telling the story. I have created three stories and visualizations for the sun salutation sequence, but I want to find other flows that work, too. Many thanks, and namaste!
Thank you Debbie for your kind words. Good luck in the contest. I took a look at your site/program of yoga with kids and love what you do. I emailed you with some further information on my book/books for your interest. Look forward to talking further. And again thank you for all you do to spread healthy awareness and the benefits of yoga to our youth .. The world is a better place for it!!