Want to help your tweens or teens experience the joy, peace & strength of yoga? Then check out the Shanti Generation: Yoga Skills for Youth Peacemakers DVD!
Product Description: Shanti Generation: Yoga Skills for Youth Peacemakers merges yoga exercises and mindfulness techniques for youth ages 7 to 16. Developed by youth yoga expert, Abby Wills, MA, and created in collaboration with teens, the program integrates a series of movements, breathing techniques and practices that facilitate inner calm, positive attitude and a strong, healthy body. Practicing just two times per week cultivates body awareness, flexibility, concentration, stress reduction and self-expression. Exercises are demonstrated by Abby’s students and set to positive grooves created by 311 bassist, Aaron Wills (aka P-Nut). The DVD originally came out in 2009 but it is being more widely distributing it this time and they are expanding by offering it in a digital download format. The DVD Features include:
- 5 unique half-hour practice sequences: Creating Happiness, Energy Amplified, Choosing Peace, Being Sound and Voice Choice Possibility
- Library of Poses: 18 mini sequences for Focus, Energy and Calm
- Breathing Room: 5 sequences featuring stress management and self-regulation
- Self-Connection Room: two mindful awareness practices
- Interviews with seven teen yoga students
- Optional narration in Spanish and Japanese (tip: to get to this feature go to “special features”…. The intro to each section will still be in English but the instruction for the poses will be narrated in the language you chose)
- Over 30 unique options for beginner and experienced yogi’s
Here’s what I love about this DVD & a few comments:
- I love the diversity of the teen yogis in the video
- I love the edgy video style that will appeal to tweens & teens
- I love the inclusion of yoga flow sequences as well as individual elements, including poses, breathing & relaxation/mindfulness activities
- The complexity of the yoga in this DVD will provide a good challenge for tweens & teens. There are lots of yoga DVD’s for younger kids & lots of yoga DVD’s for adults…. But this is one of the few that I have seen that is geared towards the tween/teen age range.
- This DVD would be best suited for tweens & teens ages 10 years and older…. Kids younger than that may have a difficult time with the complexity of the instructions.
- Given the complexity & amount of verbal instruction, tweens & teens with special needs may need some modifications to use this DVD. For example, in my OMazing Kids Yoga groups I often help kids, tweens & teens with special needs learn individual poses before attempting to sequence them in a yoga flow. I have also “muted” the sound and “paused” the DVD frequently so I could provide very simplified instruction, cues & physical assistance as needed to help them get the main essence of the yoga pose or breathing activity and then do it a second time with the sound on. The tweens & teens I work with are so excited to see someone their age doing yoga on the screen that they are motivated to follow along…. So it is well worth the extra steps to help them be able to participate in a meaningful way. The exciting news is that Shanti Generation is working on a DVD specifically designed for teens with special needs so be looking for that in the future!
DVD Price (as of this post date): $16.95
Available online at: http://store.cinemalibrestore.com/shantigenerationdvd.html
Use this promo code to get 25% off the DVD: CINEMALIBRE2011 (code good through 4/30/12)
Digital download is available on Netflix: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Shanti-Generation/70218459. Should also be available in the future on iTunes, Amazon & Hulu.
Shanti Generation posts amazing resources on their blog & Facebook page… so be sure to check out both! I signed up for e-mail alerts for their blog posts & check their Facebook page frequently. Website: http://www.shantigeneration.com, Blog: http://www.shantigeneration.com/blog/, Facebook: www.facebook.com/kidsyoga
I found this review online and just had to share it! Listen to these two girls, Marley and Sage, give their own review of this DVD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYtjbxe7yoo (4:09)
FYI…. I did not make this video…. Just sharing it because I thought it was cool to hear kids’ own thoughts about the DVD and I cannot video the kids/tweens/teens I work with due to HIPAA & hospital confidentiality rules at the JD McCarty Center.
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the Shanti Generation: Yoga Skills for Youth Peacemakers DVD giveaway:
- Leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this DVD with your tween/teen or the tweens/teens you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- For one additional entry, enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids Yoga FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how you would be using this DVD your tween/teen or the tweens/teens you work with. (comments must be in English; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save me the step of having to obtain your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on December 12, 2011.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC, Cinema Libre Studio or Shanti Generation are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- Three (3) winners will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on December 13, 2011.
- Each winner will get one (1) copy of the Shanti Generation: Yoga Skills for Youth Peacemakers DVD.
- The winners will be notified via e-mail.
- In the event that a winner does not respond within 24 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s mailing address will be obtained via e-mail and will be forwarded to Cinema Libre Studio.
- Cinema Libre Studio will be shipping the DVD directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: retail price $16.95.
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a tween/teen yoga DVD but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids Yoga, LLC – inclusive yoga for kids & teens of all abilities in Norman, Oklahoma
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.