Looking for a fun kids yoga DVD? The Yoga By The Dozen™ DVD would be a fun addition to your kids yoga materials!
A Dozen Things I Liked Best About This DVD:
- JoAnna Ross’ enthusiasm and love for kids shines brightly! She has a positive upbeat energy that is sure to keep kids engaged.
- Fun kid-friendly instructions (ex: Sit on a magic mat in a circle, Make fun shapes with your body, Use your imagination. Bring your hands into the magic circle, etc.).
- The 12 kids on the DVD are a culturally-diverse group of boys & girls.
- Love, love, love the “Criss-Cross Yoga Sauce” term! A fun spin on the familiar term “criss-cross applesauce” that most kids immediately know and respond to.
- The “promise to do your best” promise glasses by making “circles with your hands” and putting them to your eyes (a fun modified version of the Gyan Mudra)
- The prompt “Happy Feet” for feet flexed up vs. “Sad Feet” (feet pointed down).
- Loved how she had each child come to the center of the circle to demonstrate a pose. What a wonderful way to work on self esteem!
- Kids receive lots of praise for doing their best.
- Kids are exposed to the Sanskrit as well as English names for the poses (I bet these kids are future yoga teachers in the making!).
- For each of the 12 poses there are 3 demonstrations (1. JoAnna demonstrating with clear instructions for proper alignment. 2. Demo by one of the kids 3. JoAnna and all the kid doing the pose together).
- The kids in the video are “real”….. some are wiggly, some are totally engaged, but ALL are having fun!
- I love the “Light In Me” music video bonus feature! What a fun way to expose kids to the concept of “Namaste”.
The DVD is marketed for kids 2-6 years of age. Based on my experience leading kids yoga groups, some of the poses may be a bit difficult for kids this young. The Sun Salutations sequence in the Warm Up portion of the DVD is presented at a fairly quick pace so it might be helpful to learn the individual poses before attempting the sequence.
As is the case with any form of exercise, it is important to make sure to only engage in physical activities that are safe for your child. Consultation with your child’s healthcare provider would be wise. Additional information about instructions, benefits, contraindications and modifications for particular poses can be found online: http://www.yogabasics.com/yoga-postures.html , http://yogalifejourney.com/yoga-poses/library/ , etc.
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
Product Info (from their website – http://www.yogabythedozen.com/ ):
Discover an exercise that fosters respect, coordination, and self-confidence for kids! It’s Yoga, of course! Children are natural yogis because of their “in the moment attitude”. Yoga nourishes their mind, body and spirit and paves the way for a life-long tradition of health and fitness.
Yoga By The Dozen™ DVD is a fun, interactive children’s yoga video, designed especially for kids ages 2-6. JoAnna and her 12 friends demonstrate a ‘dozen’ fundamental poses that will introduce your children into the exciting world of Yoga.
- Increase Cognitive & Motor skills
- Confidence, Courage and Self-Esteem
- Balance & Coordination
- Memory Retention and Concentration
- Nurture Creativity and Self Expression
- Respect for themselves and each other
- Proven therapy for kids with ADHD and Autism
Ordering Information: The Yoga By The Dozen™ DVD and their other yoga products are available on their website (http://www.yogabythedozen.com/), Amazon (http://www.amazon.com) & Yoga Accessories (http://www.yogaaccessories.com/). (No purchase required to enter the giveaway below)
How to enter the DVD giveaway:
- Leave a comment on this blog post with your name, why you love yoga for kids and include a valid email address in the comment form so we can reach you if you’ve won (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person)
- For one additional entry, become a Facebook fan of OMazing Kids Yoga (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga ) and do a status update mentioning this giveaway. In your status update, mention why you love yoga for kids, remember to link to us by typing it as “ @OMazing Kids Yoga ” so we will have record of your entry and include a valid email address so we can reach you if you’ve won (status update comments must be in English; 1 entry per Facebook account).
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on June 14, 2011.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- International entries are allowed.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids Yoga or Yoga By The Dozen are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- One winner will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on June 15, 2011.
- The winner will be notified via e-mail.
- In the event that the winner does not respond within 48 hours, a new winner will be selected via a random drawing.
- The winner’s mailing address will be obtained via e-mail and will be forwarded to Yoga By The Dozen.
- Yoga By The Dozen will be shipping the DVD directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: One Yoga By The Dozen™ DVD – retail price $17.99
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a kids yoga DVD but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids Yoga and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids Yoga, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids Yoga and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Printable PDF version: Yoga By The Dozen DVD Review and Giveaway