The Pout-Pout Fish books are a wonderful way to infuse lessons about the power of your attitude, words & friendship into kids yoga & speech-language therapy sessions!
Here are some ideas for each book:
- The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen (kids yoga pose opportunities: pout-pout fish, oyster with pearl, jellyfish, squid, octopus, shimmer fish, sea turtle, sea horse, worm, starfish, urchin, crab, seaweed, puffer fish breath with Hoberman Sphere; lots of descriptive vocabulary for emotions & facial expressions: glum, gloomy, pout, dreary, weary, grin, frown, scowl, grimace, mope, joy, hope, sulking, cheery; kids LOVE the humorous repeated line: “I’m a pout-pout fish with a pout-pout face, so I spread the dreary-wearies all over the place…. Blub…. Bluuub… Bluuuuuuub”)
- The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark by Deborah Diesen (kids yoga pose opportunities: fish, oyster with pearl, yawning breath, seaweed, sea snake, clam, starfish, anemone (flower), urchin, rocks on bottom of ocean floor, sailfish (triangle), shark, dolphin, dark (cover eyes), search looking through Gyan Mudra looking goggles, coral (tree), boat, worm, lantern fish (eye yoga with flashlights), Namaste ball game (roll ball back and forth while saying something positive about the person you are rolling it to); lots of unique vocabulary: yawn, whoosh, weep, promise, swoop, swish, mucky, deeper, dimmer, grimmer, slope, trench, braver; kids LOVE the repeated line: “I’m fast as a sailfish, I’m strong as a shark, I’m smart as a dolphin…. But I’m scared of the dark”. I LOVE how the story ends: “The ocean is wide, and the ocean is deep, but friends help friends – that’s a promise we keep”. For older kids, this can lead to wonderful discussions about obstacles in life & the power of encouraging words (“You can do it”) and having friends with you (“Two are faster than a sailfish, two are stronger than a shark, two are smarter than a dolphin, two are bigger than the dark”).
I use the plush fish & octopus as props. They can ride the waves of a child’s breath when relaxing in Savasana, passed in a seated twist around the circle, describe how they are “alike” & “different”, etc…. I also have used a ball or beach ball to play a game of “pass the pearl” with our feet around the circle when we find Ms. Clam’s missing pearl at the end of The Pout-Pout Fish in the Big-Big Dark.
The Pout-Pout Fish Rap:
The Pout-Pout Fish Song:
Watch a video of the book being read:
Coloring Sheets: Pout Pout Fish Coloring & Activites
The author’s website is full of other ideas & links to printables: http://deborahdiesen.com/books/pout-pout.html
Kohl’s Cares had both books, several plush & a tote for $5.00 each. A great deal + helps a great cause! They just launched a different campaign yesterday so these are now on clearance on their website. They also may be available in the toy clearance section in Kohl’s stores.
Looking for ideas for more summer themed ideas?
General Summer Theme
- Alaska’s 12 Days of Summer by Pat Chamberlin-Calamar (A fun twist on the familiar 12 Days of Christmas except this time it’s summer with the following opportunities for kids yoga on an Alaska adventure: black bear, spruce tree, moose, bald eagle, wood frog, swan, grizzlies splashing, mosquito buzzing breath, salmon, caribou, wolf, dall sheep)
- Bear’s New Friend by Karma Wilson (Fun rhyming text & repeated line. Opportunities for kids yoga: bear, cross crawl hike, tree, mouse, buzzing bee breath, flower, butterfly, bunny hops, bunny breaths, badger/gopher/mole (digging), wren/raven (bird), owl)
- Elephants Swim by Linda Capus Riley (Fun book about how different animals “swim”. See an elephant, kangaroo, platypus, armadillo, tiger, jaguar, sea otter, squid, hippo, wildebeest, pelican, caribou, polar bear, sea turtle, walrus & whale)
- I See Summer by Charles Ghigna (Fun simple rhyming text about things you see on a summer day: sun, sailboat, seagull, flower, butterfly, bird, snail, ladybug, seesaw, lemonade, ocean, seashell, fish, tree, dog, ice cream, picnic, firefly)
- Splish, Splash and Blue by Christianne C. Jones (Fun book with rhyming text featuring the color “blue” at a water park)
- Summer by Alice Low (great simple rhyming text about the joys of summer. Opportunities for kids yoga: watermelon (rock and roll on back), sun stretch and breath, palming for heat, ice cream scoops (child’s pose), bike pedaling, swing (ragdoll with arms on top of each other as a swing seat), bird, tree, butterfly, flower, water hose, fish, seagull, starfish, ocean breath, campfire, fireworks breath from Namaste Kid)
- Summer Beat by Betsy Franco (The sounds of summer are celebrated with rhyming text & great descriptive language as two friends enjoy a summer day: skateboard, dog, sprinkler, hammock, tree, bee, frog, rain, sizzling burgers, table, chair, corn on the cob, watermelon seeds, three-legged-race, water balloon, sparklers, bikes, parade, fireworks, treehouse, sleeping bags, crickets, moon, stars)
- Summer Days and Nights by Wong Herbert Lee (opportunities for kids yoga: “paint the room” warm up, sun stretch & breath, cat. cross-crawl hike, flower, tree, lemonade (sitting in cobblers pose, tense & relax fists like squeezing lemons, reach to get the sugar, stir-the-pot to mix it up, triangle to pour it out, tense & relax face “ooh” it’s sour), buzzing bee breath, seesaw partner pose, slide, sandwiches (sit with legs out, what kind of sandwiches should we make for our picnic?, spread ingredients on legs, seated forward fold to put top bread on), ants (Warrior I), mouse, owl, fireflies, crescent moon, frog, forest of trees group pose, gate, bed, dream of summer nights savasana)
- Fun Dog, Sun Dog by Deborah Heiligman (lots of rhyming & adjectives in this fun book)
- The Twelve Days of Summer by Jan Andrews (A fun twist on the familiar 12 Days of Christmas except this time it’s summer with the following opportunities for kids yoga on an garden adventure: sun stretch & breath, nest (easy pose), eggs (child’s pose), dandelion seed (blowing cotton balls), grouse (seated angle pose), garter snake, buzzing bee, hawk (eagle), mole digging (standing forward fold to scoop dirt), toad (frog), daisy (flower), crow, swallow (Warrior III), butterfly)
- The “Explore the Outdoors” card from the green section of the Yoga 4 Classrooms card deck has a fun Green Group Mandala activity.
An album of summer mandalas & coloring sheets on the OMazing Kids Facebook page (new ones added frequently)
Ocean / Beach Theme
- 10 Little Rubber Ducks by Eric Carle (opportunities for kids yoga: choo-choo breath (for the rubber duck machine), seated forward fold (to reach to paint the duck eyes & bills…. legs are the conveyor belt & our toes were the ducks eyes & bills), seated twist (to deliver the box of rubber ducks to the truck), bumpy truck ride, boat, ocean breath, duck, dolphin, seal, polar bear, flamingo, pelican (standing forward fold to scoop the fish), turtle, octopus (4 kids sat back-to-back to make an 8-legged octopus & felt each others backs breathing), seagull, whale, sun stretch & breath, palming (to make it “dark”), swim ducky swim breath & savasana)
- Beach Day by Karen Roosa (Fun rhyming text with lots of descriptive language. Opportunities for kids yoga: ocean breath, cross crawl hike, up dog, down dog, seagull, water skier (Warrior II), buzzing insect breath, beach umbrella (triangle), digging in sand, lighthouse, pass the beach ball with feet game, crab, happy baby, sailboat)
- Deep Sea Dive by Salina Yoon (Fun rhyming text under the flap for each animal. The goggles cutout on the front of this board book is fun to look through. Animals in this book: sea star, sea turtle, octopus, crab, shark, jellyfish, lobster, puffer fish, seahorse, sea urchin & oyster. Plus coral & seaweed.)
- I Spy Under the Ocean by Edward Gibbs (His whole series of books is fabulous to work on part-to-whole, inferencing & descriptive language. I love the circular cut out that gives you a peek at what is on the next page. This one has the following animals: clownfish, sea horse, crab, sword fish, octopus, dolphin, shark)
- If You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Numeroff (kids yoga opportunities: baking cupcakes – easy pose legs as bowl, shake in flour, sugar & other ingredients, mix (stir the pot & do “washing machine” for mixer), forward seated with legs being oven rack & stretch arms to close the oven door, tick-tock-toes timer, “mmm” breath as we smell it cooking, spread on icing & shake on spinkles; table, sand castle (triangle), sea shell (forward seated fold), ocean breath, surfing (Warrior II), sunglasses (gyan mudra), pass the beachball with feet game, cross-crawl hike, boat, whale, dinosaur stomps, pterodactyl (bird), monkey. You could even add a mindful tasting activity (of course be mindful of any food sensitivities, allergies, etc….). Printables for the book: http://www.mousecookiebooks.com/activities/pdfs/cupcake_activities.pdf)
- I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry (hilarious book to work on the concept of “big-bigger-biggest” and inferencing. See these free storyprops from Kizclub for the sea creatures featured in the book: I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean story props (color version) & I’m the Biggest Thing in the Ocean story props (black & white version))
- Ladybug Girl at the Beach by David Soman. (Follow Lulu (aka. Ladybug Girl) on a beach adventure where she overcomes her fears. Opportunities for kids yoga: bumpy car ride w/ pool noodle steering wheel, stretch, down dog, up dog, cross crawl hike, ocean breath, standing forward fold to dig in the sand, gyan mudra binoculars, kite, ice cream scoops (child’s pose), draw in the sand (lazy 8’s from Brain Gym), seagull (Warrior III), crab, seaweed (ragdoll), shells (seated forward fold), Ladybug Girl saves the bucket (Warrior II then Warrior I), affirmation (“I’m brave – I’m not afraid of anything!), starfish savasana)
- Luke’s Beach Day by Giselle Shardlow (this new addition to the Kids Yoga Stories series features Luke and his classmates on a field trip to the beach. A picture for the pose is included on each 1-2 page spread. Be watching for a review/giveaway for this fun book soon!)
- Octopus Alone by Divya Srinivasan (A touching tale about a shy octopus who goes on an adventure in search of some “alone” time and then joyfully returns to her friends. Opportunities for kids yoga: octopus, shrimp, squid, sea turtle, sea horse, sea snake, anemone, urchin, sea slug, lobster, clam, jellyfish, starfish, crab, eel, whale, coral & lots of types of fish)
- Once Upon a Tide by Tony Mitton (Fun rhyming text with the following opportunities for kids yoga: spyglass (gyan mudra at eyes), hammer (woodchopper), thread the needle, sewing (lazy 8’s from Brain Gym), biscuits (sit with legs out & pretend to spread butter on, forward fold to put the top on the biscuit), up dog, down dog, seagull (balance on 1 leg), compass (standing star & then balance on 1 side), map (roll/unroll in yoga mat), boat, ocean breath, whale, sail (triangle), coconut palm tree, snake, bug, monkey, dig (standing forward fold & the back up as you “dig”), pirate “arrgh” breath, crab, flower, ragdoll, starfish savasana)
- Over in the Ocean In a Coral Reef by Marianne Berkes (Great repeated & predictable text. Love the “eye-popping” photographs of reliefs sculpted from polymer clay! Free teacher’s guide, Over in the Ocean Audio Files (Singing), Over in the Ocean Audio Files (Reading), Over in the Ocean Bookmarks
- Secret Seahorse by Stella Blackstone (This book has the following animals & sea life: anemone, angelfish, barracuda, clown fish, coral, crab, giant clam, hermit crab, jellyfish, lion fish, lobster, octopus, oyster, parrotfish, sea slug, sea turtle, sea urchin, seaweed, shark, starfish, stingray, swordfish. Kids love looking for the hidden seahorse on each page!)
- Somewhere in the Ocean by Jennifer Ward (A fun twist on the familiar “Over in the Meadow” rhyming text, counting & repeated line. Animals in the book: manatee, orca whale, clown fish, hermit crab, sea otter, tiger shark, sea horse, sea turtle, octopus. Free printables: Tools for Teachers PDF, Reader’s Theater Lesson Plan)
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell by Lucille Colandro (see the free printable There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Shell story props for what she swallows in the book. Additional ideas for poses based on things in the background: sailboat, palm tree, starfish, clouds, clam, snail, dog, shark, lighthouse, bugs, spider)
- We’re Sailing to Galapagos: A Week in the Pacific by Laurie Krebs (Great rhyming text & repeated lines. Opportunities for kids yoga: sailboat, ocean breath, tortoise, albatross (Warrior III), iguana (plank), crab, fish, sea lions, red pouched frigate birds (belly breathing w/ hoberman sphere))
- The Yoga 4 Classrooms card deck has an “Ocean Breath” card in the blue section & great “At the Beach” guided relaxation card in the purple section.
- The Imaginations: Fun Relaxation Stories and Meditations for Kids book has “A Day at the Beach” & “Under the Sea” relaxation stories
Make Calming Ocean Glitter Bottles (free ocean glitter bottles labels printable)
Cool Beach in a Bottle sensory craft:
Summer yoga ideas from Kami at Elahi Yoga in the Parenting Special Needs Magazine – go to page 58 http://magazine.parentingspecialneeds.org/publication/?i=111307&l&m&p=58&id=5779
Cute Sea Animal Memory Game printable from LearnCreateLove.com: http://learncreatelove.com/?p=4050.
Fabulous sea creature printables from Picklebums: http://nurturestore.co.uk/printable-sea-creatures-ocean-play-dough
Beach & Ocean playdoh: http://pinterest.com/pin/225813368788645551/
Looking for the Pirate-Themed Yoga? See this post:
Camping / Lake / River Theme:
- Curious George Goes Camping by Margret & H.A. Rey (Curious George saves the day in this camping adventure. Opportunities for kids yoga: monkey, drive the car w/ pool noodle steering wheel, pitching a tent, up dog, water pump, bucket, campfire, deer, forest of trees, lizard, squirrel, cat, skunk, washing off in creek)
- Into the Outdoors by Susan Gal (a great book to go with a “camping” theme and a fun way to work on prepositions. This book has the following opportunities for yoga poses/activities: car ride (seated forward fold to close the car door & drive w/ pool noodle steering wheel), mountain, bridge, trees, tent (partner rooftops to pitch… the tent), cross-crawl hike (from Brain Gym), going across the stream (could be big steps around the yoga mats or yoga blocks… or maybe we need a canoe), boulders (child’s pose), eagle, waterfall, moon, woodchopper to chop firewood, campfire (palming to warm hands), stars. There are lots of animals in the book as well so we may add poses for those: bear, fox, deer, moose, porcupine (lotus mudra), turtle, frog, dragonfly, raccoon (gyan mudra at eyes for mask), woodpecker & owl. Want more ideas for this book? Check out these great posts by Picture Books & Pirouettes: http://kerryaradhya.blogspot.com/2012/09/into-outdoors-plethora-of-prepositions.html & Maria’s Movers: http://mariasmovers.com/2012/09/04/into-the-outdoors-camping-dance/
- Ladybug Girl and Bingo by David Soman (Follow Lulu (aka. Ladybug Girl) on a camping adventure. Opportunities for kids yoga: cross crawl hike, forest of trees group pose, up dog, down dog, bird, turtle, butterfly, canoe, quiet mindful listening, mermaid (pigeon), fish, picnic lunch sequence (open the picnic basket – seated forward fold, decide what kind of sandwiches to make for the picnic, spread out the blanket, seated twist to pass the picnic basket), unicorn, tiger, rocket, boulder, helicopter, pitching a tent (triangle pose), campfire (palming), star, firefly, roll up in sleeping bag (rolling up in yoga mat)
- Little Bear’s Little Boat by Eve Bunting (opportunities for kids yoga: boat, fish, tree, beaver (woodchopper), otter, blue heron (balance on 1 leg). Wonderful messages in the book about growing up, destiny & sharing)
- Rattletrap Car by Phyllis Root (lots of fun descriptive language, sounds & repeated line)
- When We Go Camping by Margriet Ruurs (Gorgeous painted illustrations depict a camping adventure. The back of the book contains hints for finding animals hidden in each painting. Opportunities for kids yoga: tent, sleeping bag, moose, bird, squirrel, canoe, sun stretch & breath, mountain, fish, woodchopper, campfire, bear, skunk, elk, forest of trees, cross crawl hike, butterfly, worm, water bugs, frog, berry picking, owl, eagle, cricket. More if you can find the animals hidden in each picture)
- The Imaginations: Fun Relaxation Stories and Meditations for Kids book has “The Night Sky” & “Making Friends with a Tree” relaxation stories
A free kids yoga lesson plan that I wrote for Your True Nature inspired by “Advice from a River” – http://omazingkidsyoga.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kids-yoga-lesson-plan-inspired-by-advice-from-a-river-your-true-nature.pdf. It is also available on the Your True Nature website, along with other lesson plans, at http://www.yourtruenature.com/yoga (http://www.yourtruenature.com/library/images/Teacher%20Curriculum/Omazing%20Kid%20Yoga.pdf)
Want lots of fun ideas for a “camping” themed kids yoga class? Check out the post on the Little Yoga Stars blog – http://littleyogastars.blogspot.com/2012/03/camping-lesson-plan.html)
Here’s a great camping coloring sheet: http://www.seeyosemite.com/support-files/camping-page1.pdf.
Another coloring sheet: http://funcoloringsheets.blogspot.com/2011/08/camping-in-moonlight.html.
Lots of fun free camping-themed printables & craft ideas: http://www.homeschoolcreations.net/2011/09/camping-preschool-unit-preschool-corner/
Camping Bingo free printable: http://www.nwf.org/Kids/Family-Fun/outdoor-activities/Camping-Bingo.aspx
Father’s Day Theme
- Daddy Hug by Tim Wares
- Mister Seahorse by Eric Carle
- My Dad by Anthony Browne
- My Daddy is a Pretzel by Baron Baptiste
- Papa, Please get the Moon for Me by Eric Carle
(see kids yoga ideas shared during this brainstorming session on OMazing Kids: http://tinyurl.com/kxfyf3a)
4th of July Theme
- Two great books with lots of opportunities for kids yoga: Red, White and Boom! by Lee Wardlaw & “Carl’s Summer Vacation” by Alexandra Day (doesn’t specifically mention the 4th of July but could easily fit that theme since it ends with them watching fireworks). Here’s a free teacher’s guide for Red, White and Boom!:http://www.leewardlaw.com/PDF/redwhiteboomguide.pdf.
- Namaste Kid has a fun Firework Breath video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGlcD9DNpVc.
- Yogainmyschool.com has this fun sequence: http://yogainmyschool.com/fourth-of-july-kids-yoga-sequence/
- Kids Yoga Stories has a new lesson plan inspired by the book “M is for Majestic: A National Parks Alphabet by David Domeniconi: http://www.kidsyogastories.com/free-resources/
* Free printable pinwheels from Spoonful: http://spoonful.com/printables/mickey-donalds-patriotic-pinwheel (great for breathwork)
* Love this idea from Pink and Green Mama Blog for a patriotic “Eye Spy Bottle”: http://pinkandgreenmama.blogspot.com/2011/07/smart-summer-challenge-week-2_07.html?m=1
I’d love to hear your ideas for more summer-themed kids yoga! Feel free to leave a comment below or on the OMazing Kids Facebook page
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Speech-Language Pathologist at the JD McCarty Center for Children with Developmental Disabilities (http://www.jdmc.org/)
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Contests & Giveaways on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the crayons divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.