Registration is now open for the new Camp ClapHans Summer Camp for kids ages 8-16 with special needs starting this summer at the JD McCarty Center in Norman, Oklahoma!
Camp ClapHans is a series of five-day overnight camp sessions for children with special needs. 2013 camp dates are:
- June 9 – June 14: “Dances with Campers” Serving children with a diagnosis of ADHD.
- June 16 – June 21: “Tales and Legends” Serving children with a physical disability.
- June 23 – June 28: “Voices of the Wind” Serving children who use alternative methods to communicate.
- July 7 – July 12: “Heart of the Wild” Serving children with a diagnosis of autism or intellectual disabilities.
- July 14 – July 19: “Beat of a Different Drum” Serving children with sensory issues.
- July 21 – July 26: “Spirit of the Harvest” Serving children with feeding disorders and aversions.
Each session begins Sunday afternoon and ends Friday afternoon. Camp sessions are limited to 12 campers.
The camp is located at the J.D. McCarty Center next to an 11-acre lake in Norman, Oklahoma. It features two cabins and an activities building. Campers and counselors will sleep in large, wheelchair accessible, climate controlled cabins. Each camper will be assigned to a counselor with a camper/counselor ratio of 1-to-1. Campers’ medical needs will be overseen by nurses and an on-call physician.
Campers will have the chance to try activities such as:
- Horseback riding
- Yoga (I am scheduled to teach OMazing Kids yoga classes on Thursdays & Fridays of each camp session)
- Arts and crafts
- Challenge course
- Other activities include campfires for storytelling, dutch oven cooking and s’mores. We also have movie nights and stargazing.
In addition, Camp ClapHans will focus on social skills. Campers will get the chance to learn and practice successful social interactions with peers in small and large groups. These activities will include initiating conversations, taking turns, social boundaries and practicing courtesy.
Registration info, scholarship info & forms:
For more information, contact Camp Director Megan Stanek at (405) 307-2814 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information on volunteering at the camp, contact Jennifer Giamelle at (405) 573-5342 or at email@example.com.
Camp ClapHans website: http://www.campclaphans.com/ (currently under construction)
Speech-Language Pathologist at the JD McCarty Center for Children with Developmental Disabilities (http://www.jdmc.org/)
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
Facebook Contests & Giveaways: https://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsContestsandGiveaways
OMazing Kids LLC is an organization that promotes inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities. The blog and social media pages share information about books, DVD’s, CD’s, trainings, online trainings, games and other products specifically designed for kids wellness, mindfulness and relaxation, product reviews & giveaways, lesson plan & activity ideas, research, kids wellness in the news and a connection corner with listings of individuals doing adapted yoga and those offering trainings.
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.