This is Gabriel: Making Sense of School – 2nd Edition: A Book about Sensory Processing Disorder
I love that this book is written from the perspective of a child with Sensory Processing Disorder and describes each of the senses in a way that most kids, parents, teachers & therapists can understand. It is a great intro to SPD and would be a great way to explain SPD to a parent & child who is newly diagnosed, provide info a teacher who will be having a child with SPD in her/his classroom, etc…. This book does a great job of providing a brief easy to understand overview of SPD and provides links at the end where readers can find more in-depth info and resources.
- Publication Date: May 1, 2012
- Reading level: Ages 7 and up
- Paperback: 32 pages
- Publisher: Sensory World; Second Edition, Revised edition (May 1, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1935567349
- ISBN-13: 978-1935567349
- Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 8.2 x 0.3 inches
Price at the time of this post: $12.95 list price (several great deals online…. do a search on Google to find the best price in your area. Too many deals to list here.)
Where to purchase the book:
Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/17685059 [I'm not a big fan of Wallyworld but it was cool to see that they are offering this book on their website...... the more people who have access to info about SPD the better :) ]
Publisher Sensory World’s website: http://www.sensoryworld.com/OurProducts/tabid/210/product/91/Default.aspx (Sensory World & Future Horizons on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sensory-World/293890725713 & http://www.facebook.com/futurehorizons)
There are many other places to purchase it online. Do a Google search to find the best deal in you area….. my advice is to stick with websites that you have used before or are well-known/trusted. You could also check with your local independent bookstore to see if they have this book or could order it for you. The 2nd edition of this book was just released in May so it may be too new to be available in your public library…. but it’s worth looking for :)
Author’s Blog: http://www.hartleysboys.com/p/this-is-gabriel-making-sense-of-school.html, Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hartleysboys & Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ParentingSPD (@ParentingSPD)
8 Sensory Systems (info from the SPD Blogger Network – http://www.spdbloggernetwork.com/the-8-senses/)
Disclaimer: I received a free sample of this product to facilitate my review. Opinions expressed are my own.
How to enter the giveaway:
- Enter via the “Giveaways” tab on the OMazing Kids FB page (http://www.facebook.com/OMazingKidsYoga?v=app_197602066931325) & mention how you would be using this book. (comments must be in English; must include full first & last name; 1 entry per Facebook account).
- For one additional entry, leave a comment on this blog post. Must mention how you would be using this book. If you only enter via blog post comment, you must also send me an e-mail with your mailing address (send to email@example.com. You will not need to do this if you also entered via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook since your address will be provided on that entry (comments must be in English; 1 entry per person; must have a valid e-mail address)
- Helpful Info & Tips: You increase your odds of winning by entering via both methods. Entering via the “Giveaways” tab will save you the step of e-mailing me your mailing address – the info you complete on the tab comes directly to me via an e-mail. FYI…. I use a free app from Shortstack for that tab and have no control over technical difficulties either on their end or on Facebook. In the event that you experience difficulties with the tab you can submit an entry via e-mail providing your full name, e-mail address, mailing address, how you would be using the book. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Unfortunately Facebook rules prohibit me from accepting entries directly from posts or comments on Facebook.
Entry Deadline: Enter by any of the methods listed above by 11:59pm CST on July 8, 2012.
Rules of Participation:
- Must be 18 years or older with a valid e-mail address.
- Only USA entries are being allowed for this particular giveaway.
- Employees or family members of OMazing Kids, LLC or the product’s company are not eligible.
- No purchase required.
- Comments submitted via the Enter Giveaways Here…. tab on Facebook or e-mail may be copied & pasted into the blog post.
- Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received.
- One (1) winner will be chosen via a random drawing of valid entries on July 9, 2012.
- The winner will receive one (1) copy of the book.
- The winner will be notified via e-mail and will be posted on the blog post.
- The winner’s address will be forwarded to the publishing company and they will be mailing the prize directly to the winner.
- Prize Value: $12.95
Other Legal Stuff: I know it’s just a book but just to be safe here is all the legal stuff…
This giveaway is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook. You are providing your information to OMazing Kids, LLC and not to Facebook. The information you provide will only be used for our internal purposes in relation to the administration of the giveaway. Your information will NOT be sold to any outside parties.
Indemnification/Hold Harmless: By participating, entrants agree: (a) to the decisions of OMazing Kids, LLC, which shall be final in all respects; (b) to release, discharge, and hold harmless OMazing Kids, LLC and its respective representatives and agents from all liability, injuries, losses or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from the acceptance, possession, misuse or use of a prize, or from participation in and/or entry into the Contest or any Contest-related activity and for acceptance, delivery, or use of any prize; (c) that the foregoing parties have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guaranty, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any prize.
Angela Moorad, MS, CCC-SLP, IAYT, RCYP-2
Founder of OMazing Kids, LLC – inclusive wellness activities for kids of all abilities
Radiant Child Yoga Certified – Levels 1 & 2
NOTE: Please ignore any ads that appear below the wavy divider bar. This is a free blog site & I have no control over ads appearing here.